admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lucy, Oct 10, 2002.

1. lucy

lucy New Member

I have several questions that perhaps somone out there can help me with. I have a BS in Biology (1978) and an AAS in Nursing (1986). Would I qualify for a post-baccalaureate program, because these classes are so old? Or should I pursue an MBA or MS? If so in what area are they looking for? I will be taking the MCAT in 2003 and have signed up for the review class. Please advise. Thanx

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member

lucy,
    if i were you i'd sign up for undergrad classes. you don't necessarily have to be in a program, you just need to take the required premed courses at some point. if you want to participate in a post bac program, i don't know why you wouldn't be eligible but i'm no means an expert on post bac programs! since your bio classes are so old i'd recommend taking one or two advanced courses. you also need inorganic chem, ochem, and physics. i'm not sure if you've already taken these, but i'd recommend retaking some if i were you in preparation for the mcat. at most schools premed coursework doesn't really expire, but if it was over 20 years ago schools will definitely want to see at least some recent coursework. i know at duke your courses need to be less than 7 years old, but i haven't come across such a requirement at other schools. in my opinion a master's degree is not necessary as you would still have to take and do well in some of the more basic science courses.

4. TexasGuy41

TexasGuy41 Senior Member

Most schools require recent coursework within the last 5 years(science is preferred) to demonstrate continued science apptitude. I say do a post-bacc program and go for it! good luck

5. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member

welcome to SDN, lucy! :clap:

wow, i can't believe i beat SMW to it... this deserves to go to the SDN hall of miracles...

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi and glad to have you on SDN,

Are you worried about the MCAT seeing that your classes are so old? Make sure the review class will be able to get you up to snuff in enough time to be totally prepared for the 2003 MCAT. I assume you are taking the one in April.

Also keep in mind alot of stuff has change in biology since 1978. I have friends that have classes that are 15 years old and had no trouble signing up for post bac classes. they took biochem I and II, Physiology and immunology.

I would suggest a year of post bac classes just to show the admissions committees that you are still able to perform well in science courses. You could take a MS program but as long as you can perform well in the post bac, I would think a MS is not needed.

Some schools offer 1 year certificate programs, but watch out. The one that MCV has is quite difficult. The Dean of Admissions at MCV told me that the certificate program is harder than the first year of med school.

Good luck