DocFrog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ACGME has an admit cap requirement of 5+2 per intern per 24 hrs and 10+4 for residents, ACOI/AOA does not have anything similar as far as I can tell.

My program does not have any admit caps (meaning we can have 15+ admits a night with 1-2 interns and 1 resident on call) Can anyone from other DO IM programs tell me if they have admit caps at there programs and what they are?

Also, how do the admit caps on the MD side work? What happens to the pts admitted after the caps are reached?

Thanks

Gibbles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
My institution has their admit cap at five per night for each intern on a team. Two interns equals ten admits max. After that, either the senior gets called in to assist or the hospitalists take over for the remainder of the night. I've never capped, yet, so I'm not exactly sure what happens. Regardless, patients are taken care of and admitted appropriately.

By the way, I hate to say it, but if you are having to admit 10-15 people overnight by yourself, then that is poor healthcare and your residency and hospital are putting people in danger.

DrWBD

Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
May 2, 1999
Long Island, NY USA
Status
Attending Physician
By the way, I hate to say it, but if you are having to admit 10-15 people overnight by yourself, then that is poor healthcare .
It's an AOA program. By definition some would say it's poor healthcare. ;)
Though in fairness my ACGME training program routinely exceeded admission caps.