Admitted into Debrecen Medicine with lots of Q’s (Done my research)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

henry90121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am an Asian student and recently got admitted into University of Debrecen General Medicine program. I’ve looked through a lot of past posts online but I’m still uncertain about some things. BTW I’m hoping to specialize in surgery in the future. (Not sure which kind yet)

Debrecen School Life
1. I’ve seen in some past posts that the dorms in Debrecen are not recommended. Is it just the too high fees or is the whole environment terrible because I’m thinking about signing up for the Korean Hostel.

2. Will I be able to eat breakfast lunch and dinner in the campus cafeteria and nearby restaurants or do I have to cook by myself sometimes? (I am a terrible cook)

3. During the last two years of (Clinicals? Rotations? Clerkship?) will I be able to do them in the US or other EU countries even if I am non US and EU citizen? If I can, am I able to apply to any hospitals or can I only apply to the Debrecen approved or affiliated hospitals?

Other Medical Schools & Future Plans
1. Does being in a better medical school means a better chance of getting residency in the US or EU? (not concerning citizenship) Is it worth it to try to apply to University of Semmelweis or some Irish medical schools? (only concerning residency)

2. Which countries in the EU have good salary and not too overload working time? (Will try to learn the countries’ language during medical school)

3. Does being a non-EU mean nearly 0% of residency chance in EU countries? If the answer is yes I’ll try to become EU using investments during my studies.

4. Should my last two years of Clinicals? Rotations? Clerkship? be done in the country or hospital I wish to work afterwards in order to have higher possibility in residency or is it not relevant?

Thank you all very much

All i know is if you want to end up in the UK and you do medical school in the EU but not in the UK, you need to be an EU citizen. In your case if you go to Debrecen or Semmelweis, you won't be able to be a doctor in the UK unless you are an EU citizen.

If you have the money and the grades go to Ireland, it has better facilities and hospitals and a more western medical environment. I highly doubt any medical school in Hungary is going to be producing good research and have good clinical practice.