Adrenal gland hormones, the hek?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caribeari

Reaction score
Quick question: my patho book says that glucocorticoids are synthesized in the zona fasciculata and the zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex. I have always thought it was only in the zona fasciculata and I cannot find any other sources saying the zona reticularis also produces glucocorticoids. Does my patho book have an error or am I just not finding the info elsewhere to confirm? I don't want to be remembering the wrong info. >.<

Members don't see this ad.

Your path book is correct. Corticosterone, the aldosterone precursor produced in the reticularis, has both weak glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid effects; once it becomes aldosterone the mineralcorticoid effects predominate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t corticosterone produced in the zona glomerulosa, not reticularis?

Reactions: 1 user
Isn’t corticosterone produced in the zona glomerulosa, not reticularis?

Taken directly from my patho book: "The glucocorticoid hormones, mainly cortisol, are synthesized in the zona fasciculata and the zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex." My First Aid book says it's produced in the zona fasciculata. I also found this: Corticosterone - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics, which also says zona fasciculata and further explains the conversion into aldosterone in the zona glomerulosa. I can't find anything that says it's synthesized in the zona glomerulosa, just that it's converted there. But at least this answered a large chunk of my question!

I find it kind of sad that my patho book doesn't even explain the conversion though. I need a better patho book methinks. This is the one that came with my program.

First aid = best aid

Reactions: 2 users
its not so cut and dry. Theyll never ask you that kind of detail at least i know for Step 1. In real life there arent hard cutoffs really just highest concentrations of respective hormones follow the general rule Salt Sugar Sex GFR respectively

Reactions: 3 users
Taken directly from my patho book: "The glucocorticoid hormones, mainly cortisol, are synthesized in the zona fasciculata and the zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex." My First Aid book says it's produced in the zona fasciculata. I also found this: Corticosterone - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics, which also says zona fasciculata and further explains the conversion into aldosterone in the zona glomerulosa. I can't find anything that says it's synthesized in the zona glomerulosa, just that it's converted there. But at least this answered a large chunk of my question!

That’s what zanki says too. That’s good enough for me.