• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Adrenal gland hormones, the hek?

Caribeari

Oct 26, 2018
Quick question: my patho book says that glucocorticoids are synthesized in the zona fasciculata and the zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex. I have always thought it was only in the zona fasciculata and I cannot find any other sources saying the zona reticularis also produces glucocorticoids. Does my patho book have an error or am I just not finding the info elsewhere to confirm? I don't want to be remembering the wrong info. >.<

Upvote 0

delamj

UWSOM MD 2022
2+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Your path book is correct. Corticosterone, the aldosterone precursor produced in the reticularis, has both weak glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid effects; once it becomes aldosterone the mineralcorticoid effects predominate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
About the Ads

Caribeari

Oct 26, 2018
Isn’t corticosterone produced in the zona glomerulosa, not reticularis?

Taken directly from my patho book: "The glucocorticoid hormones, mainly cortisol, are synthesized in the zona fasciculata and the zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex." My First Aid book says it's produced in the zona fasciculata. I also found this: Corticosterone - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics, which also says zona fasciculata and further explains the conversion into aldosterone in the zona glomerulosa. I can't find anything that says it's synthesized in the zona glomerulosa, just that it's converted there. But at least this answered a large chunk of my question!

Upvote 0

Deecee2DO

Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
New Jersey
  1. Medical Student
its not so cut and dry. Theyll never ask you that kind of detail at least i know for Step 1. In real life there arent hard cutoffs really just highest concentrations of respective hormones follow the general rule Salt Sugar Sex GFR respectively

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
  1. Medical Student
Taken directly from my patho book: "The glucocorticoid hormones, mainly cortisol, are synthesized in the zona fasciculata and the zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex." My First Aid book says it's produced in the zona fasciculata. I also found this: Corticosterone - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics, which also says zona fasciculata and further explains the conversion into aldosterone in the zona glomerulosa. I can't find anything that says it's synthesized in the zona glomerulosa, just that it's converted there. But at least this answered a large chunk of my question!

That’s what zanki says too. That’s good enough for me.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.