Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Adrenaline junkie premed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BoxingMD, Jul 26, 2006.

1. BoxingMD

BoxingMD Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just curious. I know most admissions people are conservative type people, so is it a bad idea to tell them in my secondaries or later on at interviews that Im into adventure activities. (skydiving, river rafting, shark diving,bungee jumping, etc.)

2. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably not going to be good for your disability insurance later on down the road.

3. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd definitely mention it. Not that it's quite as adventurous, but I briefly discussed all of my Colorado hiking excursions, simply because they've been meaningful experiences to me. Let yourself shine through.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'd mention it. adds a new dimension to you as an applicant.

i'm telling med schools that i work on cars/motorcycles, autocross, and gokart race for fun.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MeBeans

MeBeans Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree; it's best to mention them if you're going to use them for something: ie describe how they help define who you are.
    I don't think tossing them in would necessarily hurt, but most schools don't seem to be leaving a specific section for extracorric. outside of class. If you see somewhere where they'd fit, put them in.

6. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You'd be fine with those. I think that socially accepted adrenalin sports like the ones you mention above are fine. If you start getting into the real dangerous ones (BASE jumping, etc.), I'd worry about what the adcoms thought of your common sense level.

7. WildTumor

WildTumor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can mention it but be careful to word it correctly. You don't want to come across as someone too extreme. Adding another dimension to your application is one thing -- crazy is another.
    G'luck - WT

8. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unless you hobby is carrying a bat around and beating up homeless bums or something equally questionable, it would probably be fine to put on your apps.

9. AlberttheGator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So you are like the Australian guy in the movie "Along came Polly"?

Bloody Ripper :laugh:

10. beaverfetus

beaverfetus poo-tee-weet?
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I kayak, cliff dive, mountain bike, play paintball and have been known to seek stimulus from more sedentary pursuits (use your imagination). So yeah go go gadget adrenalin! If my craziness isnt worked out in residency I'm going to do doctor's without borders for sure.

11. Zuwie

Zuwie Member
    5+ Year Member

If your interviewers happen to be emergency docs or trauma surgeons, they LOVE this kind of stuff. And that seems to be where you're headed. I mean, as a doctor, not a patient hopefully.