BoxingMD

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Just curious. I know most admissions people are conservative type people, so is it a bad idea to tell them in my secondaries or later on at interviews that Im into adventure activities. (skydiving, river rafting, shark diving,bungee jumping, etc.)

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Probably not going to be good for your disability insurance later on down the road.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I'd definitely mention it. Not that it's quite as adventurous, but I briefly discussed all of my Colorado hiking excursions, simply because they've been meaningful experiences to me. Let yourself shine through.

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i'd mention it. adds a new dimension to you as an applicant.

i'm telling med schools that i work on cars/motorcycles, autocross, and gokart race for fun.

MeBeans

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Looque said:
I'd definitely mention it. Not that it's quite as adventurous, but I briefly discussed all of my Colorado hiking excursions, simply because they've been meaningful experiences to me. Let yourself shine through.
I agree; it's best to mention them if you're going to use them for something: ie describe how they help define who you are.
I don't think tossing them in would necessarily hurt, but most schools don't seem to be leaving a specific section for extracorric. outside of class. If you see somewhere where they'd fit, put them in.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
BoxingMD said:
Just curious. I know most admissions people are conservative type people, so is it a bad idea to tell them in my secondaries or later on at interviews that Im into adventure activities. (skydiving, river rafting, shark diving,bungee jumping, etc.)
You'd be fine with those. I think that socially accepted adrenalin sports like the ones you mention above are fine. If you start getting into the real dangerous ones (BASE jumping, etc.), I'd worry about what the adcoms thought of your common sense level.

WildTumor

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Status
Medical Student
You can mention it but be careful to word it correctly. You don't want to come across as someone too extreme. Adding another dimension to your application is one thing -- crazy is another.
G'luck - WT

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Unless you hobby is carrying a bat around and beating up homeless bums or something equally questionable, it would probably be fine to put on your apps.

AlberttheGator

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Gatorcountry
Status
Pre-Medical
BoxingMD said:
So you are like the Australian guy in the movie "Along came Polly"?

Bloody Ripper :laugh:

beaverfetus

poo-tee-weet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
AlberttheGator said:
So you are like the Australian guy in the movie "Along came Polly"?

Bloody Ripper :laugh:
I kayak, cliff dive, mountain bike, play paintball and have been known to seek stimulus from more sedentary pursuits (use your imagination). So yeah go go gadget adrenalin! If my craziness isnt worked out in residency I'm going to do doctor's without borders for sure.

Zuwie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
If your interviewers happen to be emergency docs or trauma surgeons, they LOVE this kind of stuff. And that seems to be where you're headed. I mean, as a doctor, not a patient hopefully.

BoxingMD said: