Adult and Ped Endocrine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thoreau_fan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have a question about endocrinology. Could a person how has a residency in Med/Peds, but an Adult Endocrine Fellowship still treat Ped endocrine cases if there aren't any Pediatric Endocrinologists in the area. I would like to practice in a realtively small town (50,000 or less) and to handle both Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology. Would this be possible or do I have to pick one or the other? Any replys are appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

thoreau_fan said:
Hi all! I have a question about endocrinology. Could a person how has a residency in Med/Peds, but an Adult Endocrine Fellowship still treat Ped endocrine cases if there aren't any Pediatric Endocrinologists in the area. I would like to practice in a realtively small town (50,000 or less) and to handle both Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology. Would this be possible or do I have to pick one or the other? Any replys are appreciated. Thanks.
If your enod fellow has a peds elective you can I beleive. Not sure aobut the whole issue on charging insur. but I do not see this as a issue.

I know my fellow will cover a % of peds which will allow me to cover both cases.

From a pediatric resident perspective:
You would probably feel comfortable in your training treating adolescents given their similar-to-adult physiolgy and the likely problems they would present to you with (T1&2 DM, thyroid, adrenal issues) but I think as you went down the age range you would be less prepared/comfortable dealing with the physiology and the problems (how much CAH a/o ambiguous genitalia, precocious puberty, growth delays do you get in an adult fellowship; and how comfortable would you be in managing a new onset diabetic [w or w/o DKA] who presents at the age of 13 months [we have one on my ward right now] knowing that they're vastly more insulin sensitive than older children/adults?). That being said if you had done a Med/Peds residency you would be more familiar with the above and a competent general pediatrician can do the initial assessments of the above non-emergent scenarios and the stablization of the emergent (ex DKA)