thoreau_fan

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hi all! I have a question about endocrinology. Could a person how has a residency in Med/Peds, but an Adult Endocrine Fellowship still treat Ped endocrine cases if there aren't any Pediatric Endocrinologists in the area. I would like to practice in a realtively small town (50,000 or less) and to handle both Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology. Would this be possible or do I have to pick one or the other? Any replys are appreciated. Thanks.

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2004
Status (Visible)
thoreau_fan said:
Hi all! I have a question about endocrinology. Could a person how has a residency in Med/Peds, but an Adult Endocrine Fellowship still treat Ped endocrine cases if there aren't any Pediatric Endocrinologists in the area. I would like to practice in a realtively small town (50,000 or less) and to handle both Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology. Would this be possible or do I have to pick one or the other? Any replys are appreciated. Thanks.
If your enod fellow has a peds elective you can I beleive. Not sure aobut the whole issue on charging insur. but I do not see this as a issue.

I know my fellow will cover a % of peds which will allow me to cover both cases.

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
With my Children Of The Corn
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
From a pediatric resident perspective:
You would probably feel comfortable in your training treating adolescents given their similar-to-adult physiolgy and the likely problems they would present to you with (T1&2 DM, thyroid, adrenal issues) but I think as you went down the age range you would be less prepared/comfortable dealing with the physiology and the problems (how much CAH a/o ambiguous genitalia, precocious puberty, growth delays do you get in an adult fellowship; and how comfortable would you be in managing a new onset diabetic [w or w/o DKA] who presents at the age of 13 months [we have one on my ward right now] knowing that they're vastly more insulin sensitive than older children/adults?). That being said if you had done a Med/Peds residency you would be more familiar with the above and a competent general pediatrician can do the initial assessments of the above non-emergent scenarios and the stablization of the emergent (ex DKA)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.