Adult ICU vs peds ICU (procedures, pathology, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picuboo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Peds-trained here, currently in pediatric ICU training. Hearing a lot more about individuals that do both peds and adult ICU ultimately.

Curious as to what types of pathology and procedures adult ICU has less exposure to when compared to peds ICU? In peds, something I think sets us apart is the complex congenital heart post-op patients. For us, we also do a fair amount of intubations > peripheral A-lines > CVLs > fem A-lines > chest tubes.

It appears that adult CCM does essentially every procedure- is there any thing you don’t really do? I ask because I’m considering doing extra training, but I almost want someone to say “we don’t see or do much of so-and-so in adults, which is something very unique in peds ICU.”

Members don't see this ad.

Below thread might be of interest to you

Thanks for providing that. Looks like a couple major differences is adult ICUs are segregated (i.e. MICU, SICU, neuroICU, CCU) whereas peds ICUs are usually more combined; also the culture in peds ICUs is more hand-holding/supervision. Although this thread doesn’t seem to speak on the procedures in one vs the other… also seems to be more in favor of adult ICU lol.

Anything that makes peds ICU more unique? Also procedures less common in adult ICU compared to peds ICU?

Last edited:
The type of procedures will be similar in PICU vs MICU. The only exception was can think of is that many MICU docs do bronchs on intubated patients. I don’t think this is something PICU docs do.

Procedures in general will be more common in an adult ICU, w/ sicker patients, and less hesitation to put in central lines, art lines etc. That may depend on your practice location however.

In my limited experience in the PICU, the best thing about it was that patient outcomes are much better than the MICU. MICU can be quite depressing.