Adv. Anatomy w/Cadaver vs. Gen Medicine in Sports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which class to take?

• Advanced Anatomy (Cadaver Lab)

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • General Medicine in Sports

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating which class to take next semester. My school offers an advanced anatomy class that actually allows students in small groups to go through a cadaver dissection. I'd really like to take that class, but at the same time, I'm interested in taking another class that deals with General Medicine in Sports. They're both offered at the same time so I don't get to try both. I'm interested in possibly doing sports medicine, so I thought it would be a really interesting class and given that I'll be working with cadavers next year (c'mon someone accept me!), I thought I'd just take the one that seemed more interesting. I do think that anatomy would be awesome and possibly make gross anatomy a little easier next year. I'm torn! Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Do the gen med in sports. granted im biased, has to be more fun and intersting then playing with cadavers all semester

I think that going through anatomy would be pretty helpful if you are going to be taking it next fall. Unless you think you might get sick of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
godawgs39 said:
I'm debating which class to take next semester. My school offers an advanced anatomy class that actually allows students in small groups to go through a cadaver dissection. I'd really like to take that class, but at the same time, I'm interested in taking another class that deals with General Medicine in Sports. They're both offered at the same time so I don't get to try both. I'm interested in possibly doing sports medicine, so I thought it would be a really interesting class and given that I'll be working with cadavers next year (c'mon someone accept me!), I thought I'd just take the one that seemed more interesting. I do think that anatomy would be awesome and possibly make gross anatomy a little easier next year. I'm torn! Any advice?

Anatomy. It sounds pretty sweet.

do you really want to take the exact same class twice in a row? Once in ugrad and once in med school? Most people get through anatomy just fine w/o taking it in ugrad.

i too am very interested in sports medicine...however, i think that this class in undergrad might not turn out to what you are expecting in terms of learning about sports injuries and sports medicine....taking the anatomy class would help u so much for med school and not too mention learning about muscles and bones and all that stuff....plus some anatomy classes have a section on muscle and bone injuries which are ultimately tied into sports.....it is a tough decision tho.... :luck:

Rendar5 said:
do you really want to take the exact same class twice in a row? Once in ugrad and once in med school? Most people get through anatomy just fine w/o taking it in ugrad.

I agree with this. If you'd rather take the other class, take it. If the reason you are thinking of taking anatomy is to help in med school, don't bother. If it is new to you, you will probably work harder and be more interested. At my table, 3 out of 4 of us had never had any anatomy at all. One guy had a strong anatomy background and had done prosections. He got the lowest grade out of the four of us, so I don't think prior experience necessarily equals a higher grade. I asked him why and he said he already knew the material and didn't feel motivated to learn those tiny little (mostly unimportant) details that mean the difference between honors and high pass. He would rather spend time with his family. Point being, you can honor anatomy with no experience. Take what you want. It's your last chance to make decisions like that for a long time.

IgweEmeka said:
i too am very interested in sports medicine...however, i think that this class in undergrad might not turn out to what you are expecting in terms of learning about sports injuries and sports medicine....taking the anatomy class would help u so much for med school and not too mention learning about muscles and bones and all that stuff....plus some anatomy classes have a section on muscle and bone injuries which are ultimately tied into sports.....it is a tough decision tho.... :luck:
The sports medicine classes I took in college were very basic and are really not going to be at the level you would need to understand stuff as a doctor. The ones I took were geared towards athletic trainers or interested athletes which felt like a complete waste of time for me.

I took a gross anatomy class with dissections and it was by far the best class I took in college. It was taught by a professor with a PhD in sports medicine - so I got both worlds though - learned kinesiology alongside. Even though it wasn't as miticulous in what you'd need to know as a med student, I learned a ton, and if I could take that environment and memorization later on. I like dissecting and seeing stuff first hand.