Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Advance Please for major..... Sorry long post

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MRSMUFFEN, Dec 18, 2008.

1. MRSMUFFEN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello All,

I am new to the SDN, Just finished my 1st degree BS. BA, but I am a mission to reach my new goal. I am currently enrolled at MCC for Spring 09 (14-15 credits) bio/lab and others to transfer to ASU this fall. I am about to submit my application and Of course for Aid you have to have a major& apply as 2nd Bac. I have narrowed it down to three choices that do interest me and will help in complete pr-reqs ASAP. My choices are, 1) Microbiology BS, 2) Molecular Biosciences/Biotechnology BS or 3) Biological Sciences (Ecology & Evolution) BS,
    Descriptions:
    1.) Students in the Bachelor of Science program in Microbiology engage in the study of microorganisms (bacteria, viruses, and fungi) and their activities, including their impact on humans, animals and the environment. Several basic and applied subdisciplines are included: medical and clinical microbiology, which concerns microbes that cause infectious diseases; virology; immunology, which involves the study of immune defense mechanisms; industrial microbiology and biotechnology; microbial fermentation, which involves growing microorganisms to make chemicals, antibiotics and other economically important products; food and pharmaceutical microbiology, including quality control; mycology, which is the study of fungi; soil and aquatic microbiology; biodegradation; microbial physiology and biochemistry; microbial genetics; recombinant DNA technology; and molecular biology.

2) Students in the Bachelor of Science program in Molecular Biosciences and Biotechnology focus on learning the fundamentals of biochemistry, molecular genetics, cell biology, physiology, and organismal structure and function. Students then apply these principles in research settings to discover more about the causes of disease and how organisms develop and respond to environmental changes. Special emphasis is devoted to understanding how these principles are applied by the biotechnology industry to improve the quality of life through the production of better and healthier foods with lower environmental impact and the treatment of illness and disease.
    3) The ecology and evolution concentration in the Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences program provides training in the ecology, evolution, and behavior of organisms, the diversity, and systematic relationships among species and change in these relationships through time, and the responses of organisms and ecological systems to human activity and environmental change. Evolution forms the foundation for understanding everything in the biological sciences, while ecology examines the interaction of organisms with their environment
    Which one which one, from searches in the forum and reading on the background still unsure. Leaning towards 1 or 2. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Note the school also recommended.
    Global Health BA
    The BA in Global Health is an interdisciplinary degree designed for students who seek a broad and flexible set of skills for understanding contemporary health challenges and thinking about how they might best be solved. "Global" is understood in the anthropological sense, meaning ways of understanding and addressing disease, health, and well-being that can incorporate all cultures, places and time, and that can integrate knowledge of health's social, historical, biological and ecological dimensions. The curriculum emphasizes the development of core skills in critical thinking and problem solving and the importance of direct experience (research, study abroad, service learning and advocacy). The degree cultivates capacities to deal with any complex problem with social components: how to identify the critical issues, ask the right questions and create solutions that are meaningful and effective.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Id go for 1, but thats me and my tatse. It depnds, whatever what you may hate the least is what you should major in.

4. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Out of 1,2, and 3 do what interests you the most. Im a micro major so Im baised towards numero uno :thumbup:. The truth is I doubt dental schools will value any of these majors over the other.

5. MRSMUFFEN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks to to both of you. My 1st chioce is Microbiology Microchemistry if its full, which i doubt. all ready submitted it and spoke with my ASU Pre-health adv. and I'm good to go Fall of 09. Current spring schedule at MCC ( all w/ lab for total of 16 credits) ... BIO 181, CHM 130, PSY 101 & Microbiology
    Less then a month away
    I'm so excited.

6. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly if I were I would go for the Microbiology degree,even if you're just doing it to fullfill your pre-reqs, as that would be most applicable for dental school. The MBB is the kind of degree that you get if you want to work in genetics lab for a coporation like Caris MPI, but it might have more biotechnology information than you want. The ecology and evoluction concentration in bio sciences looks crappy, and you would be learning too much about plants. There are no plants in dental school, maybe a few questions on the DAT but that's it. Also take the pre-health advisors advice but be weary b/c sometimes they don't know what they're talking about. And if you're taking the micro for either of the first two degrees they require MIC 220, instead of the regular MIC 205, I'm not sure which if both are offered at MCC. I went to MCC and graduated from ASU w/ my B.S. in Biology......so I've experienced both schools! Good luck!

7. MRSMUFFEN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree, I did pick Microbiology as my major for the experience :)
    I just checked asu catalog your right....... I have to call monday and see if they can place me in it. MCC online says I need to complete pre-req 1st.... ASU says it 220 can be taken Corequisites w/ 181. :mad:MCC. Thats why I'm only going there Spring 09....

Update. I dropped MIC 205 and trying to pick up Precalculus MAT 187 as prereq for MAT 251 at MCC or ASU over the summer. Currently at MCC have 13 credit w/ 1 credit Piliates and I'm trying to get into Precalculus at MCC now. Does summer 09 count same sem as Spring, that should give me at 15-16 credits Spring Sem right?

#6 MRSMUFFEN, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  8. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have a micro BS and got a great job out of school in between undergrad and dental, so at least you have that option :)

Why do some guys date female Microbiologists? Because they can appreciate small things. Burnnnnnnnnnnnnn

9. MRSMUFFEN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Funny James, lol. I'm good on the job front for the time being. I'm a Lending analyst supervisor as JPMC. I've schedule my classes so I only need to flex my work schedule a few hours. Same days off to study. I'm all about options.