1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advance vs Advantage

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by house2272000, Jul 30, 2011.

1. house2272000

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hello,

What are the differences in Kaplan MCAT advance and advantage? I know you need 27 or above to get into the advance. Advance classes have their best teachers. Do they have more material to study, harder test??????

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tman5890

tman5890 Fiery Devotion
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From what I know, the advanced course has more required work so you will have to study harder.

4. house2272000

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The main reason I am asking this is because I got a 29 on my MCAT and I want to take it again as Advanced. Do they have same practice material as in Advantage?

5. tman5890

tman5890 Fiery Devotion
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think so. There might be a little bit of new stuff, but I'm not sure. It's mainly more required work.

6. Bancrofti

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From what I know there are 3 main differences:

1) Instructor is supposed to be of higher quality, and must have scored in a higher percentile on the MCAT and have a certain amount of time spent teaching with Kaplan.

2) In addition to your regular class notes, you get "MCAT Advanced" notes. These notes include topics and problems which are supposed to be of higher difficulty. Not as much emphasis is placed on the lesson book as it is assumed for the advanced students they already have a good grip on that material.

3) Requirements are different. For the Avantage class I believe you only need to take 5 practice exams or something like that. For the advanced. You need to take Kaplan 1-5, then I believe 4 of the AAMC exams. In addition to the exams, the topical tests, and a few other things are also required. All that being said, you don't HAVE to do anything at all. But you must do all of these things for the higher score guarantee.

In the end it isn't radically different. You're just in a class of people who already score fairly well on the exam. Normally people get a majority of the topics and you can fly through everything and most of the time is spent on practice passages and explaining thought processes and how to tackle questions.