advanced military residency questions (about army)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've learned a lot about military residencies and the process to apply, from these message boards. I still have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for.

First of all, in the army you're required to apply to 5 programs, but what if there are only 3 hospitals that offer what you want? Can you just put derm down as your 4th and 5th choices? Also, if you don't want to do a military residency (for hpsp or rotc people like me), couldn't you just not make any interviews? That way, you could not be accepted and be defered to the civilian match?

Second, the military match is earlier then the nmrp, but what about if you're applying to a civilian residency that also has an early match, like ophtho for example? Do you apply to both at the same time?????

One more question. If you apply to a transitional program (again, like for ophtho) and get accepted, what are the chances that you won't get into ophtho for pg2? Are you pretty much locked in, or do some people not make it?

Any answers to these would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!
-Andrew

Members don't see this ad.