Advanced position but no prelim. Perpetuating problem.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainyMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to you all,

I am sure many share this frustration, but here is my story. I love neurology and was able to match into an advanced position at a great place in the midwest but scrambled without success for prelim/transitional.
I searched the forum and there is not much about this subject...

Any advice/tricks/info on open spots is really appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi to you all,

I am sure many share this frustration, but here is my story. I love neurology and was able to match into an advanced position at a great place in the midwest but scrambled without success for prelim/transitional.
I searched the forum and there is not much about this subject...

Any advice/tricks/info on open spots is really appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, I'm sorry you have to go thru this..I'm not sure if you saw typhoonegator's post, but he recommends contacting the program you matched with, and telling them your situation. They'll try and help you out because they don't want to lose you just because you didn't get the prelim year. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

I too am sorry to hear your situation. I would also talk with your own medicine program director or a senior medicine faculty with whom you got along well with and see if there's anything that can be done at your home institution as well. I've heard of home depts. making spots - not sure how that happened, nor do I want to take a stab at it. Also talk with your dean or whoever helped with the whole match bit. Best of luck to ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you,
I am an IMG...so my medical school would not be able to help with that...
I would be great to hear from/about people who were in the same boat and how they managed it.

I know someone in the same boat. It is very challenging. One issue that has been a sticking point for IMGs is how visas are being structured at different programs. You might get an offer that is set up with a J-1, but if you don't want to go back to your country of origin after residency, you might not want to take that offer. It certainly complicates things.

Not to belabor the point, but if you did an observerships here in the US, I would contact those folks - really anyone you have any inroads with could help. At this point, you have nothing to lose.