Advanced Science Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eunixd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a freshman with enough AP credits to take advanced 200-level courses for all my science requirements and multivariable calc. I was wondering whether this is a good idea, since I could probably do a lot better on the the introductory courses while satisfying pre-med requirements. Would taking advanced courses help me stand out?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they would. And you'll learn more, too.

Finally, I don't know how your school does it, but if I had forfeited my AP credit adcoms would have been able to tell from my transcript. If it's the same for you, you'd then have to potentially explain at interviews why you took lots of AP classes yet decided to essentially repeat all of those classes in college rather than take upper-levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
AP classes are through your high school (they were for me) hence you don't need to submit the transcript to med schools. Even if you did, they wouldn't care what you did in high school. I repeated all my AP courses to keep my gpa sky high. No one would have known and even if they did, I doubt they would have said anything. My high gpa served me VERY WELL!

Repeat the premed prereq classes. Repeat any AP's that other college classes are going to build significantly on. Should both boost your GPA and allow you some leeway in adjusting to college.

so med schools don't care too much on whether or not you took advanced courses freshman year?