1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Advanced Standing-> I-20

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by priya26, Apr 1, 2002.

1. priya26

priya26 Member
    7+ Year Member

I just happened to read somewhere that all the I-20(f-1 visas) are being delayed. Has anyone else heard about this too. Do you think it is going to effect people who want to study on I-20.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Is this a april fool joke .....

4. priya26

priya26 Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish !!!

5. Henna

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by priya26:
    <strong>I wish !!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">U r in NY right .. why do u need an I-20 ?

6. priya26

priya26 Member
    7+ Year Member

Because I am on H-4 and I dont want to waste my H visa.

7. Henna

" H-4 visa holders may attend U.S. schools and colleges, but are not authorized to work in the United States ".
    That's the info I got when I surfed the net ....So Iam not sure if you'll need an I-20 . Did you speak to the school you plan to join ?
    Too bad they are delaying the I-20 process, eh , I havent heard about it so far . Do you have a link to the article ?

8. pkm

pkm Member
    7+ Year Member

but priya
    when i spoke with the college people they said it takes a week for i 20 to come and abt 2 months for the f1 visa?

9. priya26

priya26 Member
    7+ Year Member

Cinnamon aka perplexed, The H visa is for six years. If I study on H visa I'll be wasting my visa which I can use later to get a job in U.S. That's why I need F-1. I have already used my three years on H visa.
    I read about it in last week's India Abroad, front page.
    pkm,
    Hope this doesn't apply on us the dentists.

10. Henna

Umm O I C,thnx for the clarification ... good idea.
    Hopefully it'll work out without much of a struggle for us . Hey do you also have to give them a bank statement ( proof of funding ) for the I-20 form ?

11. priya26

priya26 Member
    7+ Year Member

Cinn, I dont know if they'll ask me for a bank statement or not coz I just started applying to schools (took board-1 in Dec.). I'll probably know this next year :) or late this year.

12. Henna

Oh ! Ok !..... Thnx
    Good Luck to you.

13. merl

merl Member
    7+ Year Member

Adding my 2 cents regarding this topic. It is true that issuing I-20/f1 were suspended for 6 months after sep 11.The perod is already over& more over it was more on effect on poeple who are outside the US, so it won't be any problem for who are already residing in US.Allthough it seems its taking longer time to get one.Recently few engineering friends came here on I-2o for post graduation.
    hope this helps

14. priya26

priya26 Member
    7+ Year Member

The news I am talking about came out last week's India Abroad that said it will be in effect now.......

15. musikus

musikus Member
    7+ Year Member

hi there,

it only takes a long time if you do not go personally to an american consulate in your home country to pick up your visa.

my current situation is this: I hold an H-1 visa, but for school this fall I will go back to germany to get my f-1 visa which i had before my H-1 visa.
    I will take my I-20 and my application with me, hand it to the consulate and will get my visa the same day! That is how it worked for me with my old f-1 as well as my H-1 visa.

if you cannot or do not chose to leave the US then it will take longer since the school will have to take care of everything, sending off the appl, etc...

you do have to show a statement with funds for your first year in order to obtain a I-20 from your school. these funds can come from any source
    you, or someone who sponsors you. as long as you can show that statement everything is okay and you will get the I-20.

if anyone has nore questions regarding this matter you can also e-mail me at [email protected]

thanks and good luck

daniel