Advantage of Early Interviews at Non-Rolling School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fotografía

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any?

Members don't see this ad.

Some places have applications go through additional reviews if an interview was not granted earlier in the season. Thus, it is possible that you may have a higher chance of getting an interview if you submit earlier (at certain places, at least).

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places have applications go through additional reviews if an interview was not granted earlier in the season. Thus, it is possible that you may have a higher chance of getting an interview if you submit earlier (at certain places, at least).

I think the OP is wondering about the post-interview impact of having an early interview....e.g. if you interviewed in September for a school that doesn't announce decisions until March, how might that affect your chances....I'd be curious to the answer, too, since I could see it going either way.

I think the OP is wondering about the post-interview impact of having an early interview....e.g. if you interviewed in September for a school that doesn't announce decisions until March, how might that affect your chances....I'd be curious to the answer, too, since I could see it going either way.

Yes, exactly. E.g., although I was complete early (Aug-Sept at most schools), I interviewed at school X in October, and at school Y in January, and both X and Y send out decisions in March. Can I assume that because I was offered an interview much earlier at school X, that they liked my app more and therefore I'm more likely to get in vs. school Y? Or does it really not matter?

Does anyone have any insight on this issue from speaking with advisors etc.?

I would think it depends on how much emphasis the school places on the interview. If the interview is a huge portion, then all you need to do is blow them out the water when you get the chance, giving everyone the same chances. If its just a small contributing factor to the overall ranking they give you, then a long period of silence might mean you're not as highly ranked on their list as you are at other schools...

I don't think it either helps or hurts. I had a lengthy discussion about this with an admissions committee member during my interview day at Harvard (I interviewed at the beginning of November). Even though a school is technically "non-rolling," decisions are made regarding your application at various stages leading up to the March notification. In other words, they do not necessarily wait until everyone has interviewed before deciding whether or not they will offer you a position in the incoming class.

That being said, I cannot argue with the logic that if two individuals had submitted completed applications at the same time, and one of them received an interview invite months before the other, then the individual who interviewed first would be more likely to be accepted due to having a more desirable application. Unless, of course, the interview is the most important factor, and the first individual completely bombed the interview, while the second one nailed it. Then, all bets are off!