Advantage of postponing an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an interview invite from a school that I feel relatively confident I can get in to (assuming interview goes well of course). What I'm concerned about is that if they offer me an acceptance then I'll have to forgo my other applications or decline the acceptance. Does it make sense to schedule the interview at a later date so as to give other schools a chance, or does it not make a difference? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

That's not how acceptances work

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I recently received an interview invite from a school that I feel relatively confident I can get in to (assuming interview goes well of course). What I'm concerned about is that if they offer me an acceptance then I'll have to forgo my other applications or decline the acceptance. Does it make sense to schedule the interview at a later date so as to give other schools a chance, or does it not make a difference? Thank you.
When you get an acceptance, no one will be holding you at gunpoint to make a decision then and there. You will have until spring to hold onto as many acceptances as you want. Once April 30th hits, you can only hold onto one acceptance and remain on as many waitlists as you'd like UNTIL that school's 'commit to enroll' (CTE) deadline.* The guns don't come out until then ;) .

I'd recommend first scheduling to interview at a couple schools that you are not super thrilled about to get some interview experience.** Most people's best performance usually happens halfway through the interview cycle. Early on, they can be too nervous or unprepared. Later on, they can be (rightfully) burned out from the entire process. YMMV.

* specific dates this cycle may vary a bit from this past cycle
** the caveat is that "safety schools" are well aware when they are being treated as interview prep by reach candidates. So don't be surprised if someone were to straight-up confront you about that to catch you off-guard.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you get an acceptance, no one will be holding you at gunpoint to make a decision then and there. You will have until spring to hold onto as many acceptances as you want. Once April 30th hits, you can only hold onto one acceptance and remain on as many waitlists as you'd like UNTIL that school's 'commit to enroll' (CTE) deadline.* The guns don't come out until then ;) .

I'd recommend first scheduling to interview at a couple schools that you are not super thrilled about to get some interview experience.** Most people's best performance usually happens halfway through the interview cycle. Early on, they can be too nervous or unprepared. Later on, they can be (rightfully) burned out from the entire process. YMMV.

* specific dates this cycle may vary a bit from this past cycle
** the caveat is that "safety schools" are well aware when they are being treated as interview prep by reach candidates. So don't be surprised if someone were to straight-up confront you about that to catch you off-guard.

You da real MVP.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Woah they really call people out? LMAO that must be so uncomfortable

Woah they really call people out? LMAO that must be so uncomfortable
Yup, speaking from first-hand experience. I fumbled through my answer and was ultimately wait-listed there post-interview. I wasn't surprised :laugh: .

Adcoms have been around the block more than a few times haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above. However, if we are talking about DO schools, they don't have guns but they do arm wrestle applicants for a large non-refundable deposit. So, you don't want to have your last choice DO school make you your first offer as you feel you have to pay or run the risk of losing out.
Thus far, I have not heard that MD schools are requiring big deposits but I wouldn't be surprised if they head in that direction if the new environment for admission decisions causes chaos.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Deposits are refundable and you can hold multiple acceptances until the end of April.

Also, don't count your chickens, friend.

Reactions: 1 user