Advantage to Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vic90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, a few questions...

if i take bio, general chem, and physics by the end of junior year, does that mean I won't take the MCAT til senior year? do most students take the MCAT junior year?

What do people do in gap years?

Is there a benefit to taking a gap year? (easier application process without having to worry about classes?)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd assume clothes would be on sale throughout that year. However I prefer old navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
if your plan is to take those classes in the spring of your junior year, i would recommend taking a May MCAT, might delay you slightly when applying, but shouldn't be anything major. Unless you do poorly and need to take it again, in which case you'd be even farther behind.

Most people take the MCAT the spring before they submit their application. Thus, if you take it the spring of your junior year, you would go straight into medical school (assuming you were accepted) after graduation. If you take it during your senior year, you'd wait a year before starting school.

People generally work during gap years, though some people merely do volunteering and travel (most of us need some sort of finances in order to survive, though).

do the majority of students apply to go to med school right after senior year (no gap year)?

Most people take the MCAT the spring before they submit their application. Thus, if you take it the spring of your junior year, you would go straight into medical school (assuming you were accepted) after graduation. If you take it during your senior year, you'd wait a year before starting school.

People generally work during gap years, though some people merely do volunteering and travel (most of us need some sort of finances in order to survive, though).

do the majority of students apply to go to med school right after senior year (no gap year)?

Since you're posting this on a public forum, I'm going to assume you're looking for advice. My two cents: reflect on what you're asking. What is most important to you? Would you like to take off a year before starting medical school?

Maybe you could travel, or work for a year and read all those books you've been wanting to read. Or, conversely, perhaps you don't value the time off and want to start immediately.

This question is only something you can answer. Statistically, you have a greater chance of getting into medical school if you take off a year because you are then considered a non-traditional student. This being said, taking that year off in and of itself confers no advantage.

^thanks for the response.

i was thinking of a gap year so i don't have to rush through/double up on science requirements, although i'm not sure if that's a valid reason. also, i dont know if this is true, but would it be a little easier on the application process if you're applying during your gap year as opposed to doing it while you're still taking classes/in school?

^thanks for the response.

i was thinking of a gap year so i don't have to rush through/double up on science requirements, although i'm not sure if that's a valid reason. also, i dont know if this is true, but would it be a little easier on the application process if you're applying during your gap year as opposed to doing it while you're still taking classes/in school?

Depends on what you're doing during that gap year. I did both, and found it much more difficult to rearrange my work schedule at the last moment than to work interviews around classes.