Quantcast

Advantages of becoming a Pharmacist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
It will be nice if you guys can add more.

1) Money Money Money Money

2) Working Hours

3) Clean enviroment.

rutpharm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
money is good for the first couple of years than ur gonna be like the rest of the pharmacists complaining about ur salary

working hours are generally not the best, unless u working in industry, or u like to work weekends and holidays

ok most pharmacies are clean.... u got that

off2skl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see the hours as an advantage and a disadvantage. In some ways, having atypical working hours (nights, weekends) may be better for those planning to have children. I may not have to rely on alternative means of care if i'm working different shifts than my husband's typical workday (which now is 7-4). Also, having days off gives you more options when making doctors appointements, etc.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me it's definitely the flexibility. The array of opportunities is pretty much limitless. I can also say that pharmD programs offer the only careeer opportunity that sounded perfect for me: pharmaceutical policy.

A lot of pharmacists in retail have told me it's the only job of it's kind where you can provide health service on your own demand. When you leave the pharmacy you're done with it. Couple this with the money and it fits a lot of people's needs.

Ivorymist

Don't take MAOIs with...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a way we are the gatekeepers of health care, and that is what pharmacists pride themselves in. In general we are knowledgeable and the most accessible. Giving someone health advice without them worrying about being charged is very satisfying.

Other than that, there are others...
- Flexibility (as previously mentioned)
- Not having to "carry your job back home" - when you're off work (for most Rphs anyways) you are done for the day
- Salary and respect from peers

Pharmacy compares very favorably to other health professions in its advantages. Many other health professions can't offer the same slate of advantages that Rx offers IMHO.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Full Benefits
2) able to work at any location.
3) PharmD get you a job at MANY different pharmaceutical careers

baggywrinkle

cranky old fart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2) able to work at any location.

Underscore that.

Portability of employment has been a plus for me. I am licensed in three states, soon to be four. We were able to live the Colorado ski town dream because I was able to score a job in Durango and while I lived there I could sleep till noon and still get in three hours of skiing before dinner **FOR FREE** using the corperate ski pass. While I lived in Durango I saw job opportunities pop up in Steamboat Springs, Aspen, and Vail. I commanded a living wage while most of my neighbors were working 2-3 service sector jobs bussing tables and manning ski lifts at minimum wage to make ends [barely] meet for the right to be in God's country.

Sure, it sucked to high heaven when the job dried up (bought out by Rite Aide) and I was forced to drive eight hours over two mountain ranges during the winter to find per diem work in Trinidad and La Junta out on the Colorado plains. But I wouldn't trade that experience for anything and it was made possible by a degree in Pharmacy.

At the moment I am working retail in Florida (sux). That is where we landed after Durango folded on us. But I am in the reciprocity process for Washington State because we fell in love with the Olympic Peninsula during a trip to Port Townsend for their wooden boat festival. Sailing **AND** skiing. What could be better? As a fringe benefit, in studying for the MPJE exam have learned that Washington pharmacists in some settings have prescriptive authority **INCLUDING** controlled substances. At the moment there are two positions I have seen where pharmacists are prescribing for coumadin clincs and hospice. As an old school B.S. pharmacist this is intimidating - and exciting. It could be reason enough to make the effort to secure that new fangled PharmD degree just for the theraputic backround it would provide. But I'll wager it isn't needed and a licensed B.S. RPh will do. The backround knowledge needed can be gained OTJ

Don't forget the international opportunities. A colleague from my Texas days made a TON of money working in Saudi Arabia during the seventies. I narrowly missed a job on the Island of Saipan in the South Pacific. My wife is Australian and if I am willing to spend a year in school training into the British system plus a year apprenticeship, pharmacists are on the preferred immigration list.

If you are willing to work, there is work for you world wide. Have Martindales, will travel.