advantages of U.S over Canadian schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplemonkey2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into the advantages of going to U.S medical school rather than a canadian medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be in America. Hmm wonder if this is really an advantage...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tons easier to match into a residency of your choice. I would always advice any American medical school over any foreign one.

^^ True, if you want to go back to US. But, there was that long debate about McGill's amazing matching, so who knows.
I'd say: 90% of US schools < all canadian schools < 10% of US schools.

^^ True, if you want to go back to US. But, there was that long debate about McGill's amazing matching, so who knows.
I'd say: 90% of US schools < all canadian schools < 10% of US schools.

lol i donno about that. I think other than UBC, Toronto, Mcgill and maybe Queens, all the other schools are pretty much equal with the quality of most american schools (the 90% you mentioned). You are just blinded by how cheap they are. But that said, Canadian doctors earn less than american on average...and if you are a resident of a state school, the schools can be cheaper.

I think it mostly depends on where you wanna go after med school. I'll be honest with you, I happen to like Canada. But it is honestly way too frickin' cold in many of the cities I'd actually want to live in.

Money wise, it's not that big of a difference anymore since salaries have gone up quite a bit in Canada, although I guess if you have dreams of nip/tucking your way into Beverly Hills that's a different story lol.

Speaking of which, they went to HOLLYWOOD!!! OMG!

Tons easier to match into a residency of your choice. I would always advice any American medical school over any foreign one.

Few schools in the world can compete with UFT and McGill.

They aren't just "foreign schools", they are recognized around the world as leaders in medicine.

I think Degoo's comment explains it best.

Canadian schools are LCME, not foreign. Clinical training in most Canadian schools is amazing since the system is far less litigious. And most grads match into what they pursue. Sure there are far less spots, but there are far less grads given the # of schools in Canada and therefore it's comparable.

WHat schools do you think fall in this 10% group?

there are around 125 US MD schools. 10% of that would be 13 schools. To say that all canadian schools are better than 110 american schools is just absurd.

And I donno, but I rather be at RFU or NYMC and go and rotate in Chicago/NY's fine hospitals than in manitoba or saskatchewan.

Does anyone have any insight into the advantages of going to U.S medical school rather than a canadian medical school.

When you do the conversion, Canadian medical schools are community colleges offering Associates in Health Science Technology.

When you do the conversion, Canadian medical schools are community colleges offering Associates in Health Science Technology.

I really hope that is a joke because that is the hugest load of crap ever!!:eek:

you obviously dont read his blog. FYI its pretty good :D
That still doesn't excuse him from just having insulted us my fellow Canadian. Panda usually has a point, but he sounds like a dumb American this time ;)

That still doesn't excuse him from just having insulted us my fellow Canadian. Panda usually has a point, but he sounds like a dumb American this time ;)

But with the exchange rate, I'm an American of above average intelligence.

My uncle went to UBC and loved it. He even taught there for a while. But later, he moved to the states because of better pay, and I guess he was having to compete with other doctors for OR time in vancouver hospitals.

Advantage of american schools?

I guess that you could actually have a chance of getting in if you have a <3.8 GPA unlike most canadian schools

I guess I wanted to ask a follow-up question...

If you're a Canadian (no green card or anything) wanting to work in the States, is it better..

- to apply to a Canadian school
- to apply to a American school

Does it really make a difference? For me, the financial difference is about $230,000 US, so I've been thinking about what to do for next cycle...

I would assume coming from a US school gives you an easier chance of getting permanent residency status in the US, but that probably also limits your chance of matching in Canada, should you choose to stay in Canada.

I'd recommend reading about McGill in the International Schools section- I'm not in the know personally since I'm going to med school next year...but a couple of people there were debating the idea that perhaps it's a geographical divide about if the school you're interested in understands that McGill is a great program or are ignorant to that. They seemed to imply that there was no problem in the NE or California but some schools in the midwest or south weren't as familiar with mcgill's great rep.
Hope that helps.