Adventures of a 50K Walgreens Sign-On Bonus job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heroic Combo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shall talk about my job adventures of a 50k sign on bonus location for Walgreens. ****If anyone wants to be staff RPH at my store, there's a 35K sign-on bonus for 2 years ****

2 MONTH LATER UPDATE::

Our store does now only 12 covid tests a day, reduced from 55. Our store is cancelled from COVID shots and has been ever since I started because the DM is ACTUALLY a pharmacist and helped us get off the slate. We do around 30 flu shots daily and a handful of non-flu at this point. We have been consistently caught up on our basic workload of prescriptions for about 3 weeks or so now. There are definitely things not getting done. Struggle to do daily/weekly/monthly maintenance tasks, staying late on certain days, trying to maintain compliance with everything.. we hardly do any patient care calls, just starting to get consistent with weekly return which is good though. Just 22 more months left of them being able to fire me so I have to pay the bonus back, lol. I don't think this will happen though, my area is super hard-up for pharmacists.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1: Showed up and nobody was in the pharmacy but me. 267 printed, 35 in entry, 265 to review. Two people at the register, 2 suboxone patients in the drive thru with several cars behind them. I wonder.. I thought there was supposed to be a second pharmacist, and 2 technicans????? The RxOM is on vacation too. I **** my pants. 9:07 rolls around and a tech shows up. 1 minute later, second pharmacist shows up. 2 minutes later, 2nd tech shows up. I said hey nice to meet you guys!!! *proceeding to be extremely optimistic, friendly, energetic, and thankful for them being there* to try and leave a good impression and make sure they are thinking less about quitting. Bust ass all day, give a decent outlook for the staff. End the day with 515 printed, nothing to check, but still 80 out of stocks and 100 third party rejects.

Day 2: Showed up, just me as pharmacist, and 2 techs from 9 am open to 1130 am. 500+ printed. **** is busy all day, 500 printed at end of day.

Day 3: Day off but I have to do the PIC change and full control/PSE count. *Gets minor amount of RPH hours authorized, but really it takes triple as long on my day off* Floater pharmacist barely does data review, doesnt fill, doesnt answer the phone. He is on the brink of retirement and at the pinnacle of not giving a ****. Bitches at understaffing and blames everything on that. I wished I was working to make the place not go deeper into the depths of hell. Day ends, 750 scripts in the queue. I still stayed all day as if i was working anyway.

Day 4: Bust ass all day, continue to be very optimistic and friendly and joking with techs. Making good rapport at this point. Still 700+ in the queue at end of day.

Day 5: We have another pharmacist because their regular store was out of commission because the server caught on fire and the pharmacy burned (but not quite to a crisp). Just really ****ed up the store and made pharmacy only work on central mode. They damaged out the entire drug inventory. Anyway, I am lucky for this. They have to get this pharmacist some hours somewhere to make their base. Someone hit a turtle in the drive through. Passersby were knocking on the window to tell us to save the ****ed up turtle. We were sad. Some idiot ran over it. I thought, ****. I want to save the animal. Who the hell do we contact? Should I go tell Jim from the front end to go out and save it?? One of the shift leads saved it with another girl. She picked it up by its shell. Apparently there was another turtle stuck in the parking lot. It was given to one of the old ladies next door at the old folks house. She brought it out back of her place because there was a brook I guess. We bust ass all day, and we manage to get to 385 printed and not much else other than third party rejects and out of stocks.

Day 6: Somehow convinced the DM/the other pharmacist to come back again and work Sunday 9-6. I was able to get my tech to stay 2 hours late. See the thing here is we are only open for 5 hours on sunday. Makes no god damn sense. So busy all day. Literally 25 people try to go through the drive through after we are closed but we cranked some out behind closed doors. Finished with 237 in the queue.

Day 7: The RxOM comes in tomorrow back from vacation. Thank god, but the original floater is back during my day off. We will definitely get set back 150-200 scripts on the day im not there.. I definitely will come back to that. Oh well, we got this. By the end of Thursday we will be back to zeros in the queue. Hopefully. But I'm pretty sure we can do it. Then I have the weekend off!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sounds awful. How long do they own you with the bonus contract?

Reactions: 5 users
Ouch, good luck. Sounds a lot like my last store where any less than perfect day sets you behind for the next week. I quickly burned out and lost interest in keeping it afloat after just ~6-8 weeks. I hope you have a better experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have been with them before, because I am not familiar with all the lingo. In that case, you might stay long enough to keep the bonus!

Sounds like you are doing a lot of work off the clock which negates the bonus?

Reactions: 5 users
I work at CVS and after the horror stories I read about Walgreen I will never apply to work there anytime in the future. I worked yesterday and we had 4 techs and we filled probably 275 scripts. There was just 1 page behind in orange leftover for today (around 15 scrips behind).

Sounds like you have been with them before, because I am not familiar with all the lingo. In that case, you might stay long enough to keep the bonus!
I liked how they wrote

“I still stayed all day as if i was working anyway.”

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I liked how they wrote

“I still stayed all day as if i was working anyway.”

OP is setting up an impossible standard. First he will work all day for free. Then it will become expected. Next he will work "only" half a day off the clock, then "only" a couple hours off the clock. There will be zero gratitude all the way down. By the time he starts working his regularly scheduled shift, everyone will treat him with disdain because he is slacking.

See, this is what pharmacists have to put up with, for a goddamn SALARY. Doesn't matter what you actually do, you get paid the same. I can't help but think if we put the same amount of effort that we do in this job into other things, we'd make a helluva lot more.

See, this is what pharmacists have to put up with, for a goddamn SALARY. Doesn't matter what you actually do, you get paid the same. I can't help but think if we put the same amount of effort that we do in this job into other things, we'd make a helluva lot more.
This is why I'm leaving. I know people working half as hard as me making 2 or 3 times more in other fields. The feeling of being a sucker working as a retail pharmacist is too much for me at this point. Watching friends and family members making around the same money as me while sitting on their asses at home during COVID really bothered me. Every minute as a retail pharmacist is accounted for at this point while at a lot of other jobs people will readily admit they maybe only do 3-4 hours of work a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is why I'm leaving. I know people working half as hard as me making 2 or 3 times more in other fields. The feeling of being a sucker working as a retail pharmacist is too much for me at this point. Watching friends and family members making around the same money as me while sitting on their asses at home during COVID really bothered me. Every minute as a retail pharmacist is accounted for at this point while at a lot of other jobs people will readily admit they maybe only do 3-4 hours of work a day.
Ditto on this. My neighbor been at home since last March making bank with less expenses and no Covid risk. Some straight BS out there.

UPDATE:

We got completely caught up and printed ahead as of Wednesday night, took about 5 weeks. The team here is really talented and hard-working - blessed to have that. It was a good feeling to make such progress! I will say that our store was removed from the slate for COVID shots.. DM knows it was going to make it impossible for us at this particular busy store. WAG recently has reduced testing and COVID shots, probably nation-wide, because they're starting to realize that pharmacies cant sustain the workload. Also, I HAVE been working extra hours. BUT, I HAVE been getting paid for it using FDF, surprise surprise!

Pharmacy manager at WAGS down the way quit with no warning apparently to "save themselves"....Charles Walgreen the third would be ecstatic....

The whole “essential worker” phrase is just lip service intended to keep us peons working in dangerous conditions for low pay so that the 1% can get even richer.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Glad helped showed up on the first day, I can just imagine your heart sinking as it is almost 10 minutes after 9:00 and the other 3 guys hadn't shown up yet.