Adversity/Challenge, Criticism, and Diversity essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepypickle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Struggling to decide which topics to write about for common secondary topics. I have a few ideas but I'm doubting each one.

For challenge/adversity:
1. In high school, my house partially burned down. In the essay, I talk about the struggles my family faced and how the experience made me more resilient and empathetic. I'm worried that this example is from too long ago to leave an impact.

2. Early in college, my family faced financial struggles after someone became seriously ill. I began to work, became overwhelmed, and my grades dropped. I developed better habits and have an upward trend since then. This example is more recent and explains my GPA dip, but I don't want to come across as making excuses.

For criticism essays:
1. In high school, I was rejected from a sports team and told my skills were not good enough. I put in extra effort, attended outside practices, and made the team the following year. This example is from really long ago and I don't think I'm conveying the severity of the criticism well enough, but I'm also struggling to find another example of criticism I received that made such a big impact on me.

For diversity essays:
1. I majored in computer science, which allows me to bring a new perspective to whichever school I end up at. My research was also focused on data analysis in healthcare improvements, and I hope to continue this in the future. I'm worried that this doesn't say enough about my background as an individual.

2. My whole life, I've struggled with a bi-cultural identity as the child of immigrants, pressure to assimilate, and difficulties reconciling differences in the two cultures. I think this example says a lot more about my background, but is also a pretty common subject among applicants.

I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

For challenge/adversity:
1. In high school, my house partially burned down. In the essay, I talk about the struggles my family faced and how the experience made me more resilient and empathetic. I'm worried that this example is from too long ago to leave an impact.

This is more interesting than the other

For criticism essays:
1. In high school, I was rejected from a sports team and told my skills were not good enough. I put in extra effort, attended outside practices, and made the team the following year. This example is from really long ago and I don't think I'm conveying the severity of the criticism well enough, but I'm also struggling to find another example of criticism I received that made such a big impact on me.

That's fine
For diversity essays:

1. I majored in computer science, which allows me to bring a new perspective to whichever school I end up at. My research was also focused on data analysis in healthcare improvements, and I hope to continue this in the future. I'm worried that this doesn't say enough about my background as an individual.

Nope

2. My whole life, I've struggled with a bi-cultural identity as the child of immigrants, pressure to assimilate, and difficulties reconciling differences in the two cultures. I think this example says a lot more about my background, but is also a pretty common subject among applicants.

You and about 30% of all medical students have the same issues. Do better. What's cool about you?

For challenge/adversity:

This is more interesting than the other

For criticism essays:

That's fine
For diversity essays:

Nope

You and about 30% of all medical students have the same issues. Do better. What's cool about you?

Thank you for the feedback. I was leaning towards the house burning example so I'll stick with that.

For diversity, I considered talking about my 15+ years as a dancer, performing, competing, and travelling. There's a lot I can draw on there about culture, teamwork, dedication, community, etc. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback. I was leaning towards the house burning example so I'll stick with that.

For diversity, I considered talking about my 15+ years as a dancer, performing, competing, and travelling. There's a lot I can draw on there about culture, teamwork, dedication, community, etc. Thoughts?
Dancers are great. We love dancers!

Reactions: 1 user