Adversity/Challenge/Failure Essay Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unlimited Apps

King of Appetizers
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as many of you know, many secondaries have atleast one essay that pertains to the whole "getting over an adversity/challenge/obstacle/failure" theme. Obviously all of these are not exactly the same, but I am trying to think about a common story that I can use for all of them.

My idea:
Ended up trying out for a D-3 level sports team freshman year (walk-on) and didn't even make the first cut. As someone that excelled in sports in high school and as a competitive person overall, I was pretty disappointed/hurt by this. Rather than quit and just stop, I decided to buckle up and work towards my goal. Long story story short, I go from not making first cut -> practice squad-type role -> leadership-role on the alternate-team -> making the top team as an upperclassman.

Obviously I am not equating any of this to some of the examples I have seen of "real adversity" but it is something that is very important to me and it shows how I dealt with failure/disappointment and showed resiliency as I put in the work towards my goal.

Thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.