Adversity/Challenge secondary topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcivil

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m gonna strongly vote against #1. It’s kind of like saying “I don’t treat my HP Laptop well because I wanted a Macbook but my parents wouldn’t get me one”. It raises a concern about your ability to handle resilience and rejection. I know from your own perspective, it’s something that you dreamed about for years and years, but from the outside perspective it just seems immature. It will also make ADCOMS ask themselves “will this kid be happy here if we aren’t his first choice?”. Long story short, it just raises too much of a red flag.

I like #2 a lot better because it shows the transition if your life within the greater context of how you are as a person. It shows maturity.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m gonna strongly vote against #1. It’s kind of like saying “I don’t treat my HP Laptop well because I wanted a Macbook but my parents wouldn’t get me one”. It raises a concern about your ability to handle resilience and rejection. I know from your own perspective, it’s something that you dreamed about for years and years, but from the outside perspective it just seems immature. It will also make ADCOMS ask themselves “will this kid be happy here if we aren’t his first choice?”. Long story short, it just raises too much of a red flag.

I like #2 a lot better because it shows the transition if your life within the greater context of how you are as a person. It shows maturity.

Thank you for the input. It is much appreciated!

Any additional thoughts @LizzyM @gonnif ?

Members don't see this ad :)

But HP laptops are better though.

But yeah 2 is better imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Frankly, I dont like either topic. Do you have any personal adversity or challenges that have nothing to do with college or profession?

If we are being honest, I don't like them either. I have been racking my brain trying to think of something and this is what I came up with. I have been very lucky to not experience substantial personal misfortune *knocks on wood*

So you an utterly blessed childhood and adolescence with no challenges financially, emotionally, athletically, activity, bullying, relationships, fears, etc. Did you ever finally try something that you were scared of? Any introspection? I recall reading an essay how when he 9 years old finally had the courage to jump off a certain rock into the lake.

1. Being one of the smallest kids on the football team and being called names.
2. How I had never cracked a certain time as a runner in HS that I had worked towards for 4 years.
3. Not being very good at math as a kid - poor grades, requiring extra help and tutoring it sucked and was humiliating. It worked though and I completed a math heavy degree in engineering.
4. I hate spiders, yet I still get rid of them from the house.

Are you suggesting that something like this might be better than what I have? I have put a great deal of thought into this but have always thought that an adcom might not take these "adversities" seriously.

#4 is hilarious omg. Spiders suck!
(Don’t go with this one though)

Reactions: 1 user
Number 3 is actually really good

Reactions: 2 users
most definitely #3. you could tell it in an endearing manner, with charm. And humility will be unspoken but clear.
But pretty cool that someone "bad at math" became an engineer.

Reactions: 1 users
Frankly, I dont like either topic. Do you have any personal adversity or challenges that have nothing to do with college or profession?
One time the Four Seasons screwed up my reservation and had no rooms available. We had to stay at a suite at the Ritz Carlton instead. Man that sucked, but their lemonade is ok.
Only kind of kidding.

Thank you all for the responses and advice, number 3 it is!