Adversity Essay Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkinsstudent111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted some feedback about the topic I picked for my adversity essay. So I am from an immigrant family (Asian Indian), and we moved to the US when I was around 9 years old. My parents were more conservative in their beliefs while I was growing up, and I had to a lot of convincing for them to let me continue my education beyond just college. They basically wanted me to go to community college just for the sake of getting a degree and get married after that. (I know..sounds kind of crazy, but it still happens a lot especially in India). I wanted to write about this for my adversity essay and say how this made me more determined to work hard and become more independent since I had to find my own resources, support, etc. I just don't want to portray my parents as villains in any way, which is why I am hesitant to write about this, because they have slowly started to change their minds and become more progressive. It has just taken a lot of arguments, discussions, and effort from my end. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

In US, most students are expected to support themselves, borrow etc, once they finish high school. If you worked through college to support yourself and have loans etc, that automatically counts as overcoming adversity.

When a student has been fully funded by the parents to go through college, then it is hard to claim overcoming adversity.

In US, most students are expected to support themselves, borrow etc, once they finish high school. If you worked through college to support yourself and have loans etc, that automatically counts as overcoming adversity.

When a student has been fully funded by the parents to go through college, then it is hard to claim overcoming adversity.

Adversity isn’t just from a financial standpoint.

OP, you struggled to overcome cultural norms and dealing with disappointing your parents. I think this is a good topic simply because you had to overcome plenty as an immigrant but also pushing through cultural expectations of you. You continued to work hard to set a path for yourself and not the one your parents had planned.

Reactions: 2 users