Adversity Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trueBelief

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at last year's prompts and several of the schools I am applying to have a question about mentioning a situation in which you overcame some adversity and what you learned from it, etc. I personally don't think I have been through anything severe. What should I do in this case? I could mention some little things which really should not fall under the category of an 'adversity'.

Also, someone told me that medical school adcoms want students who have been through difficulties and emerged out of them, which is fine but what do you do if you haven't been through anything worth talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

write about some Disney character.

Last edited:
I have been looking at last year's prompts and several of the schools I am applying to have a question about mentioning a situation in which you overcame some adversity and what you learned from it, etc. I personally don't think I have been through anything severe. What should I do in this case? I could mention some little things which really should not fall under the category of an 'adversity'.

Also, someone told me that medical school adcoms want students who have been through difficulties and emerged out of them, which is fine but what do you do if you haven't been through anything worth talking about?

If you don't have anything "major", you'll have to use your "little things". However, don't forget that sometimes what we think are minor are truly bigger :).

Members don't see this ad :)
There's not much a HUGE thing can change about you than a bunch of little things. I read this play called "Our Town" by Thorton Wilder. From the beginning to the end, one of the motifs was "little things". Basically, one of the message he wanted to put across was that we overlook little things. Take the MCAT for example--we study a bunch of tiny sections, which form a big picture.

One way I'd tackle this problem of yours is by writing about three-four different adversities that helped you realize ONE thing. This way, you'll be able to talk about numerous little things that connect/relate to each other with one conclusion.

There's not much a HUGE thing can change about you than a bunch of little things. I read this play called "Our Town" by Thorton Wilder. From the beginning to the end, one of the motifs was "little things". Basically, one of the message he wanted to put across was that we overlook little things. Take the MCAT for example--we study a bunch of tiny sections, which form a big picture.

One way I'd tackle this problem of yours is by writing about three-four different adversities that helped you realize ONE thing. This way, you'll be able to talk about numerous little things that connect/relate to each other with one conclusion.

You usually get a very limited space to write these secondary essays; good luck elaborating on more than about two "adverse events."

The thing that the schools are looking for is not your sad sack story but for your coping skills and mental attitude when you find yourself in a tight spot.

I also had trouble with this question last year because I lacked a "sad sack story". So I described how I changed my study methods in order to prepare for the MCAT, worked closely with my mentor in my lab, and got over a break-up. That's right I included that, but only 1 sentence!