Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Advice 3.3 BCMP.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by exmissionary, Dec 31, 2008.

1. My overall GPA is a 3.59
    My BCMP GPA is 3.3
    I have 1 semester of physics, o. chem and some lab classes left.
    I am a junior and plan to graduate in April of 2010 (april after this). I am a latin American studies major and will have 1 journal article published regarding latin american health and over 200 hours of clinical interpretation experience at the local hospital. So far I have done +/- 50 Dr. shadowing hours. I spent two years as a missionary in mexico.
    I am thinking about studying for the MCAT for 2 mo's this summer then taking it. I am worried about my science GPA but think that my school is pretty competitive (so maybe that will help).

Any ideas? I would like to get into a MD program rather than DO (mostly so my degree is more recognized abroad). Should I apply this summer or wait and take some of the biochem etc classes? I am mostly worried about my BCMP GPA (I also hope I calculated it correctly).

2. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, myself included. However, you won't know much about where you truly stand until the MCAT is scored. Right now you are not really that low, seeing that you are between 3.6 and 3.3 which is average. A high MCAT score can tip the balance in your favor.

You have a good set of experiences/clinicals and youve prob got an interesting story to tell about your mission work. I say go for the highest MCAT score you can get (two months should get you there, but start studying a little bit here and there just to get you going) and youll know better about your chances at US MD.

Don't rule out DO at the moment either, I also noticed that youll be graduating in 2010 - so continue an upward trend at all costs! Finish strong. And check out MDApplicants.com for people with similar GPA's to yourself. You will see a lot of them getting accepted to US MD - it also depends on your state of residence and your choice of schools.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WolverineDoc13

WolverineDoc13 Good Times in the Midwest
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thought #1: This may be a dumb question, but you are considering taking the rest of your pre-med classes before taking the MCAT, correct? They are necessary for a high score. I even recommend taking physical chemistry before the MCAT, though it's not required. If you are considering taking physics and orgo II next semester (which would be rough at my college), you'd be in ok shape. I would take more than 2 months to study for the MCAT. At the VERY least 4-5 months.

Thought #2: You have AMAZING extra curricular experiences. Good job. I think you'd have a great chance of getting into a top-tier MD program if you sell yourself (and your wonderful experiences) effectively in your applications. You will have many chances in your personal statement, secondary essays and interviews to use those experiences to sell yourself. Work them. I beg you.

Thought #3: I was in your exact situation. I had a blah science GPA, but amazing extracurriculars (I've been advising students for 2.5 years, and created student orgs, among other things), and an awesome MCAT. I decided to wait a year to apply to medical school because I didn't feel ready at the end of my junior year. I wanted to strengthen my medical application with more pre-med courses and give myself a break from school via a gap year. Now, I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting the same for you, but it's a thought that I would support. haha.

Thought #4: Even with a lower science gpa, med schools notice trends. If you show a positive trend in your grades, that will reflect positively on you.

Good luck!

4. Thanks for your input. I had thought about waiting another year and doing something fun and productive with it. I think I'm going to approach the summer like its the only one I've got and then take it from there. Thanks for your comments on the EC's.

5. Valvool

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I majored in poli sci and so had fewer science classes on my transcript than the average medschool applicant. For this reason one terrible grade in Physics II affected my BCMP tremendously. I think adcoms do take major into consideration when looking at BCMP.

6. chessodoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll chip in. You are definitely competitive at MD schools granted you do well on your MCATS (31+). As a nonscience majopr, you should take another 1 or 2 science classes....I would advise against physical chemistry, difficult and unnecessary. You have great ECs! I would also recommend taking an upper level science class, getting an A, and a rec from that prof.

7. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in a similar boat.

3.3 BCMP
    3.7 Cumulative

One semester to raise that BCMP as all 4 of my courses are science this semester.

Good Luck to us!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. efitzpat

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I have a 3.5 overall and a 3.3 BCMP. I have had 4 interview invites and 3 acceptances so far (with on interview in a few weeks). This is just one aspect of your entire application. Rock the MCAT, write a genuine personal statement and you definitely have a chance at MD schools. Just make sure you apply broadly.

9. HaveHope

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey there

I have a 3.26BCPM and 3.49 overall. I got a 31 on the MCAT (10ps, 11v, 10bs) and am in the midst of the application cycle. I'd like to think my personal statement was solid, i think I have good extracurrics, and I would assume I have pretty good letters.......and yet, I have ZERO interviews thus far :(

SO - my advice to you - NAIL every class you have left. and KILL the MCAT. I'm thinking my 31 wasn't high enough to make up for my lower science grades. Or I'm an unlucky CA resident. However, I've seen others with my stats get in, so there is hope for you (and hopefully for me - unless I have a major flaw that I don't know about, yikes)

Also, if I were you, i would apply DO as well. I really like their philosophy and am kicking myself for not applying. I had planned to, but after going through the AMCAS primary I was exhausted and broke. Thought i'd put it off a few weeks but then the secondaries started rolling in so I became even more tired and much more broke (I work 55 hours/week). So if you have the time/$$, apply broadly to many schools - MD and DO

10. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    10+ Year Member

There's always next year. As glim as that sounds, it's true. Head up, your stats aren't bad and with a physician lor, DO will open up a tremendous amount of opportunities

11. LossForWords

LossForWords PGY-1
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, I only had ~3.1 BCMP and ~3.3 Overall and I still have multiple acceptances. My MCAT wasn't even phenomenal either. Your numbers are by no means a death sentence, especially with your ECs.

12. HaveHope

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Aw thanks guys, it's nice to see support on here.

13. dw2158

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    why, why, why would you recommend this? OP clearly has enough on his/her plate. as someone who took a year of pchem, i can say that you most definitely do not need it for the MCAT. it's like any higher level class-- once you've taken it, the more basic stuff seems much more, well, basic. so obviously the PS section feels easier if you've taken pchem. but it is by no means needed to do well.

14. majahops

majahops YOU are great.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Look at my MDapps. There is much hope for you my friend.

15. boggvir

boggvir Sunny California
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Haha, yes. Avoid PCHEM unless you have lots of time to devote to it, for little net benefit. Or, of course, you truly enjoy chemistry and math.

PCHEM weeded out so many chem majors at my school, it's not even funny.