Advice About A Cadaver Lab Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burnobus7337

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post here, been a long time lurker, and wasn't able to find anything similar to my situation via searching. So here is my story.

When I was a junior is HS I was a part of an intense and advanced Anatomy and Physiology class. When I say advanced I would say it was on the level of college A&P classes, not just memorizing bones and muscles but origins, insertions, bone landmarks such as fossae, condyles, ect.

To get to the point, our class took a trip to NIU where were able to work as a class (we were divided into groups of two) and dissected a full fresh, untouched human cadaver. Technically there were two, one was face up, one down and over the course of a weekend we dissected the thing as thoroughly as we could under the guidance of our instructed who knew her stuff extensively.

The next three years (my senior year of HS, freshman and sophomore years of college) I attended as a chaperone to assist the current students with their dissections and identifying structures as well as had my own section to dissect, usually the face/skull. I also helped the instructor set up and form the questions on the lab practical.

So my question is that I don't know if this is something I would list in my AMCAS or what I would list it under because I know they say to stay away from high school related material. I feel like it was an awesome activity that gave me some real hands knowledge and great experiences. Any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post here, been a long time lurker, and wasn't able to find anything similar to my situation via searching. So here is my story.

When I was a junior is HS I was a part of an intense and advanced Anatomy and Physiology class. When I say advanced I would say it was on the level of college A&P classes, not just memorizing bones and muscles but origins, insertions, bone landmarks such as fossae, condyles, ect.

To get to the point, our class took a trip to NIU where were able to work as a class (we were divided into groups of two) and dissected a full fresh, untouched human cadaver. Technically there were two, one was face up, one down and over the course of a weekend we dissected the thing as thoroughly as we could under the guidance of our instructed who knew her stuff extensively.

The next three years (my senior year of HS, freshman and sophomore years of college) I attended as a chaperone to assist the current students with their dissections and identifying structures as well as had my own section to dissect, usually the face/skull. I also helped the instructor set up and form the questions on the lab practical.

So my question is that I don't know if this is something I would list in my AMCAS or what I would list it under because I know they say to stay away from high school related material. I feel like it was an awesome activity that gave me some real hands knowledge and great experiences. Any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Since you worked on it in college you can list it on AMCAS. You can mention in the description that you participated in high school and then supervised in college. List the dates as your junior year to your soph year