Advice about GPA and pursuing Au-D programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passive surrender

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Communication Science Disorders junior (upcoming fall 2015), prior to my change in major, I was a Pre-pharmacy major from Fall 2010 to Fall 2013. I changed colleges. My first college was a nightmare. I was a Biology major who constantly had professors telling me I wasn't meant for science. I survived with a 3.213 GPA at a private catholic university.

During that time I had acquired some low Chemistry grades (1 C and 2 D's) and a C + in a very difficult Microbiology course. It's not one of my proudest moments.

Science grades stick so I am afraid that it will jeopardize my chances of getting into Audiology school programs in the future. My cumulative GPA for my new college is now is a 3.895. I also retook all of the science classes that I had done poorly in at my prior university and got straight A's in them (apart from Organic Chemistry (A - and B) but it's Organic. Therefore, I don't berate myself too badly over it).

My total GPA is around a 3.5 (we had to calculate it for our CSD progression to enter junior year). I'm just wondering if my prior mistakes are going to impact my future acceptance to Audiology schools. Before I get any Audiologists or Au D. students on here posting negative comments about how I shouldn't go into Audiology. Stop.

If I wanted money I would have retaken the PCAT a third time and gone to Pharmacy school. I would have became a pharmacist like my mother. I am not fiscally motivated, I want to help people hear better. I know how it is to have an impaired sense. I only have one eye. In particular, I want to go into pediatric Audiology, I want to help children the way that doctors have helped me. I'm a former micro-premie.

I plan on studying for the GRE this summer and then taking the GRE next summer. Any and all advice/feedback is appreciated. Also - are there any good GRE prep books that you could recommend? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

3.5? You are fine! A lot of programs look more at your CSD grades, (while still looking at your overall, but putting more weight on CSD)
I was in a similar situation, I was a business major for 3 semesters, it tore my GPA apart, went right to the 3 line (or below? I like to erase that part of my memory)

BUT GUESS WHAT! I got into grad school with a lower GPA than you have now!

As for GRE- I recommend not getting Kaplan, I got two of their books to study the crap out of, and did do that, and I found some concepts on the test that the set up lessons did not even go over. There is a book set that has some New York-esque name, and it is a bunch of smaller books, and it has a lot of good reviews! Also, I recommend anything with a CD with practice tests on the computer, since that is how you will take it come test day (and you can find some online free practice tests too) and if you are studying for the GRE this summer, you might as well take it when the info is fresh in your mind- and it is great to take it more than once- a lot of people's scores rose after their first test.

Thank you so much for your feedback. It was very helpful.

I went with Princeton GRE review book and Barron's study flash cards. I'm taking it next summer (before my CSD senior year) but I wanted to get a jump on things. Would that New York-esque book set be the Manhattan? If it's really beneficial I might pick that up as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um. I would see what all you score on the practice tests! And yes! The Manhattan! What I did with my GRE tests was I took one the spring of my junior year, and one the end of summer senior year (I would have taken a 3rd senior year- but everything got a little cray cray- so that didn't happen, and my 2nd test was what I was looking for.)

Updated
Undergrad GPA: 3.917
CSD straight GPA (so far) 4.0 (hoping to keep it up)
Due to the fact that I don't drive. I don't have work experience. However, I volunteer at a hospital and have for two years. I plan on volunteering in the audiology department of a children's hospital this summer (along with my 25 observation hours I have to do) and taking the GRE. I'll be busy for sure.

I'm actually worried about CSDCAS because of my first college and the upper level science classes I had to take (which are mentioned above) Should I be worried? Do I have to mention it in my personal statement for graduate school applications.

Trust me it won't be a problem. I would highlight in your personal letter how being a hard science major and having those courses makes you a more valuable candidate than your straight com Dis students and why it makes you a better audiology student.