Advice about my score....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...just got back my scores, and I wanted some feedback.

Aug '01 6V 9PS 8BS Q

What do you all think about this? I know the 6 is not great...but do people with a 6 on verbal ever get in? ANd should I retake?
Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you already started applying or were you going to wait for your score?
I think I would retake it - I think the 6 might hurt you a bit. I can't remember which school, NYU I think, that stated it highly recommends strengthening credentials if scores below 10 on the science sections are received. And I know someone who got a 6 in verbal last year who did not get in and when he asked them, they told him they thought his score was low and that he should retake it.
It's hard to say... some schools might not mind so much. If you have already started applying, I would try looking into the details of each school and maybe narrow it down to a few select schools to apply to so you don't have to squander your hard-earned dollars. In the meantime, you might want to start preparing for the April exam.
Just my opinion, good luck!

I'm sorry, but you really should retake it and improve your scores. It's not only the 6 in Verbal but your overall score is very low. If you have applications in progress you may as well see them through, but plan on taking the April exam and reapplying next year. Again I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I thinks its good advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to bust into this thread, but I just got my score back and am pretty upset. I got a BS 10, PS 8, V 9, R; how likely is it that I'll get accepted anywhere? I've already applied to schools; should I just plan on taking the April test? Thanks for your advice!

I have heard of more people who have been accepted into medical school with a total score of 27. The 10 in BS is nice, PS 8 might warrant some questions during an interview.
I say you should go ahead since you've already started, but considering you might not hear about acceptances or rejections until late next spring, you should think about whether you can prepare for the April exam. If you get in, it'll stink that you had to study again, but that will be overshadowed by the sheer joy of getting in. And if you don't, you can channel that stress into pounding the MCAT into a pulp.

Another post from the Cornhusker state with the same question about pulling up and out of the admission game with my lopsided 27. VR 7, PS 8, BS 12. Peace. AEKDB.