Advice about post bac's and linkage! (SFSU, Mills, UCB-X, CSUEB, Scripps, USC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alokj1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLA Design Media | Arts major with eclectic clientele, Swatch Groupe, Longines, The North Face, Easton Baseball, Danner Boots and more. I’ve worked in corporate america now for the past two years and recently fell ill and was hospitalized for various life threatening conditions. My GPA in Design was 3.6 - my overall GPA was 3.2.

I’m looking to possibly go into Neurology or Oncology. I’ve written up a great two page letter for all of the universities and possible post-bacc programs.

Which brings me to the topic of conversation. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’ve seen threads regarding, UC Berkeley, SFSU, Mills, and CSU Eastbay. I’m looking for a school with a high turnover for medical school and/or a great LINKAGE program!! I will consider schools with a linkage program but I am currently leaning on using my glide year for research and other activities. I'm aiming for a research oriented M.D. program, maybe an M.D.-Ph.D. if I get it, or an NIH sponsored loan forgiveness program.

I'd like to hear from those who have attended any of the following universities and what I should expect. Also, any tips during the application process would be greatly appreciated. I really want to leverage this opportunity to the fullest.

Members don't see this ad.

Mills has the best reputation out of that list. Also, if you want research like an MD-phd, you'll need experience, which would be hard to get with only a design degree.

Awesome, thanks. I am considering Gouchers and Bryn Mawr but they are out-of-state private institutions. The costs will skyrocket logarithmically if I go for these programs.

If I get SFSU and Mills, I will most likely choose between those two. Could anyone give me a fair comparison of these schools?

Ps. M.D.-Ph.D's are a huge long shot. It is a dream but if I get it, that would certainly be amazing. Currently I am doing lab work at UCSF. I'm sure if I work at this lab and other labs at UCSF, someone will eventually give me an opportunity to work on a research project.