Advice About Student Hosts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaNEM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If students are nice enough to take you in and give you a free place to stay, DO NOT drop their laptop computer on the ground and break it, particularly not in the first 5 minutes of your visit.
:(

Just some friendly advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you aren't being held responsible to repay the owner for the laptop. Those things are expensive.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CaNEM
If students are nice enough to take you in and give you a free place to stay, DO NOT drop their laptop computer on the ground and break it, particularly not in the first 5 minutes of your visit.

ouch! but some keen advice ;)

hmmm, so you're saying it would be better to do this in minutes 5 through 10?

well, sorry to hear about the accident. I don't suppose they were one of the few that had laptop insurance....? :(

I'm sure you made a positive impression otherwise.

Look at it this way. You will stand out in the crowd and they will never forget you.

You are a shoe-in for a seat in the Entering Class!!!!

;)

ouch...sounds like something i would do, canem...how did things work out?

They were super-nice, and I think everything was ok in the end. I can't exactly afford a new laptop to send them. A fruit basket is about all I can do! The laptop screen already had a crack, in the top corner. My dropping it, however, put a long one, diagonally right across the screen! :(

Otherwise the trip was great.... except for that one thing that is.

They were super-nice, and I think everything was ok in the end. I can't exactly afford a new laptop to send them. A fruit basket is about all I can do! The laptop screen already had a crack, in the top corner. My dropping it, however, put a long one, diagonally right across the screen! :(

Otherwise the trip was great.... except for that one thing that is.

Did they give you the laptop for you to hold? Just curious.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
hmmm, so you're saying it would be better to do this in minutes 5 through 10?

You would think so, but this is actually not the trend the literature shows.

For instance, the work of See et al (1969), More et al (1776), and Breastessess et al (400B.C.) all show that deleterious effects are significantly more prevalent when an applicant breaks his host's laptop during minutes 5-10 rather than during minutes 0-5 (p<.05, SD=5.64). In addition, a bar graph in Columbus et al (1492) shows this effect peaks at around 6.5 min (+/-0.32), which also falls into the 5-10 minute range. Watch next month's issue of the Journal of Applicant Common Courtesy (J App CoCo) for recent developments.

You would think so, but this is actually not the trend the literature shows.

For instance, the work of See et al (1969), More et al (1776), and Breastessess et al (400B.C.) all show that deleterious effects are significantly more prevalent when an applicant breaks his host's laptop during minutes 5-10 rather than during minutes 0-5 (p<.05, SD=5.64). In addition, a bar graph in Columbus et al (1492) shows this effect peaks at around 6.5 min (+/-0.32), which also falls into the 5-10 minute range. Watch next month's issue of the Journal of Applicant Common Courtesy (J App CoCo) for recent developments.

you're a nerd! ;)

...but then maybe so am I, cos I did laugh...hmmm...oh well, so you're a funny nerd, even if you are rolling your eyes at me :p