Advice about what to do.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by latinfridley, Nov 9, 2002.

1. latinfridley

I know its kinda late in the game for me ( im a junior, currently majoring in comp sci), but lately ive been torn between whether or not to major in comp sci or neurobiology. The truth is i dislike computer science, i just dont enjoy hours of programming, and lectures on mathematical proofs of algorithms. I totally dig neuroscience. This may sound dumb, but im beginning to realize lately that the only reason I'm majoring in comp sci, is 1) because im afraid that if i dont get into med school, there isnt a heck of alot i can do with a bio degree while with comp sci there are plenty of opportunities, 2) perhaps the worst reason of all, it almost hurts to admit it, Im afraid of the wrath or dissaproval of my stepfather who constantly tells me the virtues of majoring in a field where practical, marketable skills are learned and can be applied to a career with a decent income, and the vices of majoring in a 'worthless' degree such as biology (in terms of income and opportunity). Im intent on going to med school, however, there are too many tales of people who dont get in.
    Anyone else been in or currently in a similar situation?
    Any advice appreciated. I need to decide very soon.

the jrod

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you are close to finishing the CS degree...........just do it. You can do a double major if you want, but I think it is in your best interest to at least get the degree to show the effort you've put into CS so far.

As for CS and neurobiology, have you ever thought about the cognitive sides of computer science. I'm an industrial engineer, and the human factors part of the major definitely begins to explore the areas explored by psychology, cs, and industrial engineering. If you are at a school with a decent CS or engineering program, you should have courses that you have the ability to take in this area (admittedly they may be masters level). If you are interested in the biological portion of neuro, that is a completely different issue and you should probably switch.

Plus from what my inteviewers have told me, if you have any interest in diagnostic radiology, people will love you if you have a CS degree (lots of interviewers have tried to sell me on radiology with an engineering degree........any other engineers with this experience?)

As for your fears and your stepfather, that is a personal call. CS does open a lot of doors for you, while biology is a limited degree. With a CS degree you can go into medicine, bioengineering, consulting, and a broad range of fields within and outside of medicine.

Good luck.

4. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    Have you considered psychobiology? It's very similar to neuro, however the psych component allows you to have ALOT more flexibility.

Law, Teaching, Psychology, Business, Med, etc.

5. nupedogg03

nupedogg03 Junior Member

I'm a senior CS major, and I can empathize with you about the algorithms junk, though for some strange reason I enjoyed all the programming. If its not too late, maybe you could switch your major to neurobio and minor in CS, so at least you have something to show for your hours (and I mean HOURS) in front of the computer screen. If you have the opportunity, it might be a good idea to take a computational biology course to bridge the gap between the two, though you'd have to deal with those hated algorithms again. Best of luck.

6. beamiestface

beamiestface Member

Have you every thought about going into cognitive science/cognitive modeling? I guess if you are posting on this board you want to be a doctor, but someone with a background in both neurobiology and computer science has a lot to offer to cognitive science.

7. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

as far as getting in to med school, I would suggest doing what you're best at. if you're an A- bio student and a B comp sci guy, go with bio...

8. latinfridley

So basically what it boils down too, is:

better gpa in neurobio vs worse Gpa in comp sci
    more options w/ comp sci vs not many options with neurobio
    easier bio degree vs pretty damn hard comp sci degree

as far as how far along i am in comp sci and or bio, it turns out i would finish either degree in about the same amount of time. I will have 16 hours in comp sci at end of this semester, enough to minor.

my school doesnt have a cog sci area of study, they offer 1 cog sci class, so i think that elimates cog sci as a viable major.

So what do yall think in terms of how I should proceed to approach this problem of prioritizing the consequences of choosing one major over the other? (using the list i wrote out above, and noting that the ultimate goal is to get into med school)

the jrod