ADVICE: Academic Integrity Violation: My experience/application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecrush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to SDN, but find it a great resource. Basically I recently graduated from college. During my sophomore year in college I committed a grave and inexcusable act: I cheated. The context of the situation is that I was dealing with a great deal of pressure to be perfect, to graduate in the three years. I was constantly comparing myself to others, and was pretty much unhappy. This was an act of opportunity: it occurred when I went into the TA for a regrade on my biology exam, and he offered me 2 more points (nothing that could even really effect my grade). The reason he offered me 2 more points was for a comment that I had written on my exam AFTER receiving the test back. Rather than doing choosing the ethical way, I chose to cheat and to take the two points quietly. I was caught soon after because our program makes copies of each exam.

I am sincerely sorry for what I did. I will never forget what happened, and as sad as it is to say this, I feel grateful that it did happen. I have learned so much about myself, who I want to be, and the complete and utter value of integrity. I know that this experience does not define who I am. I am a person of character who made a very very serious mistake. I wish more than anything I would have acted in a moral way.

I have spoken extensively to high school students about my experience in college and the importance of integrity in all aspects of life. Furthermore, I currently work at the Ethics Department at my institution. I have spoken in depth with my pre-med deans, and they are going to support me 100% in my cover letter and application. I am so grateful for their support. I have learned greatly from my mistake, and know, more than anything else, that I will NEVER lose sight of my values again.

I am taking a year off and working at the Ethics Center, developing curriculum. I am applying to medical school, and want more than anything to be a doctor. I have a 32 on my MCAT and a 3.6 GPA from a difficult university. I know that I am not the most perfect applicant by any means, but I know that I can be a great doctor, with so much character and compassion.

Questions:
What do you think my chances are given this huge red flag in my application? How do I approach this? I have the lowest confidence in getting in.

Where do you think I should apply? What do you think I will face?

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. And take it from me: always make good decisions and have good judgment in everything you do.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am new to SDN, but find it a great resource. Basically I recently graduated from college. During my sophomore year in college I committed a grave and inexcusable act: I cheated. The context of the situation is that I was dealing with a great deal of pressure to be perfect, to graduate in the three years. I was constantly comparing myself to others, and was pretty much unhappy. This was an act of opportunity: it occurred when I went into the TA for a regrade on my biology exam, and he offered me 2 more points (nothing that could even really effect my grade). The reason he offered me 2 more points was for a comment that I had written on my exam AFTER receiving the test back. Rather than doing choosing the ethical way, I chose to cheat and to take the two points quietly. I was caught soon after because our program makes copies of each exam.

I am sincerely sorry for what I did. I will never forget what happened, and as sad as it is to say this, I feel grateful that it did happen. I have learned so much about myself, who I want to be, and the complete and utter value of integrity. I know that this experience does not define who I am. I am a person of character who made a very very serious mistake. I wish more than anything I would have acted in a moral way.

I have spoken extensively to high school students about my experience in college and the importance of integrity in all aspects of life. Furthermore, I currently work at the Ethics Department at my institution. I have spoken in depth with my pre-med deans, and they are going to support me 100% in my cover letter and application. I am so grateful for their support. I have learned greatly from my mistake, and know, more than anything else, that I will NEVER lose sight of my values again.

I am taking a year off and working at the Ethics Center, developing curriculum. I am applying to medical school, and want more than anything to be a doctor. I have a 32 on my MCAT and a 3.6 GPA from a difficult university. I know that I am not the most perfect applicant by any means, but I know that I can be a great doctor, with so much character and compassion.

Questions:
What do you think my chances are given this huge red flag in my application? How do I approach this? I have the lowest confidence in getting in.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. And take it from me: always make good decisions and have good judgment in everything you do.

Unfortunately (for your sake), such an offense suggests to medical schools that you are willing to break stringent ethical barriers, regardless of possible consequences, if it means you will personally benefit. While this may not necessarily define you accurately, it is what it is.

Many will probably suggest that you seriously consider waiting a decent amoutn of time to apply after you graduate. Talk to "yourmom"...about your predicament. He can give you some great insight into when and how you should approach applying to medical school.

Good Luck!

We live and we learn...

Obviously, it would be better had you not cheated. But, I think you are better off than others who cheated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, it sounds like you are truly sorry for what you did and have been taking the necessary steps to redeem your name.... (talking with other students, helping with ethics stuff, getting support from advisors/letter writers, etc.)

At this point you just have to roll the dice and hope that the ADCOMS are in a good mood that day.

I'm curious... does the cheating incident show up on your transcript?

Thank you all for your comments. So nervous/anxious/scared.

No. It does not show up on my transcript. However, I want to disclose it, and my cover letter from my institution will also disclose it, while also supporting me

I received the minimum penalty possible: A zero on the exam.

I got a C in the course.

Nice. You pulled a zero on the exam and stull pulled a C in the course.

I'd admit you.

Disclosing it while it's not on your transcript and doing all the atonement work afterwards show great integrity. If you can write about it in your PS as earnestly as you have written about it here, I think you have a decent shot.

It was no the TA's fault. I got the exam back, tried to rework a problem because I did not see how to get the write answer, went to the TA to ask about a different question. I was about to leave and the TA saw this question on the exam, and said , "hey looks like you could get 2 points back here...you seem to have the write work." and I knew that this was wrong because I had reworked the problem to figure out the answer...

Rather than telling him that, I did not say anything when he took the exam back and gave me 2 more points. It was wrong, and I hate that I did it.

Other comments would be appreciated. What schools should I look into do you think? Do I need to mention it in my PS? Or rather, should I briefly mention what I have learned and move on??

Disclosing it while it's not on your transcript and doing all the atonement work afterwards show great integrity. If you can write about it in your PS as earnestly as you have written about it here, I think you have a decent shot.
Agreed. The fact that you're not playing the victim card ("It's everyone's fault but my own...") speaks a lot to your maturity and adcoms will respect that much more than those who compound their mistakes by trying to weasel out of accountability. Kudos and good luck...

It was no the TA's fault. I got the exam back, tried to rework a problem because I did not see how to get the write answer, went to the TA to ask about a different question. I was about to leave and the TA saw this question on the exam, and said , "hey looks like you could get 2 points back here...you seem to have the write work." and I knew that this was wrong because I had reworked the problem to figure out the answer...

Rather than telling him that, I did not say anything when he took the exam back and gave me 2 more points. It was wrong, and I hate that I did it.

Wow!!!! I would say that you got off pretty easy. You would have received an F in the class and suspended for a semester had you done that at my alma mater.

Regardless....good luck

Everyone here is being extremely nice/disingenuous. To put it bluntly, your situation is terrible. Having this on your record will be the reddest flag there can be. Your only possible saving grace would be to somehow get your foot in the door (i.e. interview) and express your sorrow. Even then you will be at a tremendous disadvantage. Otherwise, you will just be numbers on a page and a big fat red flag. I feel for you because we all cut corners in someway or another and hope to get by. You were unlucky.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Questions:

Hey man,

I was also found in violation of academic code (more recently though, 3 weeks back) and am in the situation you were in once before. I posted on this site before, and was met with a lot of responses which really helped me out. I think I want to be just like you. I've taken the blame for what I did and am currently in the process of appealing for a less severe penalty. I failed the class. Rather than applying this yr, I am 75% percent sure I will wait for a yr. I am waiting for the appeals result to come back in.

I talked to the dean of my college, and she agreed that during this summers orientation for incoming freshman, it would be an excellent idea to talk to them about working with others and plagairism. There isnt a 100% chance my slate will be wiped clean of academic misconduct, but thats not the only reason I am choosing to do this. If freshman know that doing something like I did, even if its unintentional, will mess with your career goals, then it would personally be a great accomplishment for myself.

Any advice from you would be great since you are in a similar boat, but with more experience and obviously more maturity. PM or reply back to this thread.