Advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omrianh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! First-time poster here, but I've been looking around recently and like this place a lot! I was wondering if you all could give me a few pointers about my what I can do in the next year, EC's in particular. I'm a rising junior currently and will apply to med school next summer. I'll take the MCAT in the april to june months.

BCPM GPA: 3.65
Cumulative: 3.72

Local Hospital Volunteer - February 2008 - present (50+ hrs: ED)
Local Rescue Squad Volunteer - June 2008 - present (Not and EMT; just observer)
Local Nursing Home Volunteer - July 2008 - present
Local Hospice Volunteer - July 2008 - present (will get clinical training in the fall)

Shadowed: Otolaryngologist (16 hrs); Pediatrician (~7 hrs)

Neuroanatomy research - Fall 2007 - present (Summer employed)

Aikido Club Founder and President - December 2007 - September 2008
Asian Studies Secretary - September 2008
NAMI on campus Treasurer - January 2008 - May 2008
Fencing Team - Fall 2006 - present
Otakon Staff - August 2008

Church musician - starts September 2008
Research lab assistant - June 2008
SafeRide! - September 2007 - present
Music Department intern - Fall 2006 - present

I do lots of music (Music minor: piano). Play in bunch of ensembles. Went to music study tour in Italy.

I'll end up shadowing more physicians. I might get 1 or 2 publications in by application time. I was considering taking an EMT-B class in the fall, but I feel that getting my gpa up would be a better decision. I was also worried about my inconsistent leadership roles. I still haven't taken Physics II and Orgo I and II yet, but I will be in the coming year. Finally, I am applying for a unit secretary position at the hospital.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As you've just started, or recently started your clinical exposure via volunteering, it's very important for you to maintain that through the next year so you'll be able to report significant hours accumulated on next year's application. The rest of your activities seem fine, as you do have some leadership and variety. Keep that GPA up. It's fine as it is, but more improvement is always better. Additional shadowing would be good in a variety of specialties, if possible. The amount of research you've done is fine. And of course, do well on the MCAT.

Thanks, Mobius! Volunteering stuff'll be in check. I'm going to shadow a dermatologist in the near future and am continually looking for more docs to shadow.

Though the MCAT is a huge factor in deciding where to apply to which med school, I am starting to look at med schools and needed some guidance as where I should look at applying. I'm already planning to apply to University of Maryland, one of my state schools, but I'm not sure where else to look or even what to look in a school for.

Reading these forums will give you a lot of insight into what people find important in considering various med schools, like cost, type of curriculum, big-city environment, campus attractiveness, weather, early clinical exposure, small/large class, etc. Second, strongly consider buying or visiting at your university (reference) library the MSAR book (Medical School Admission Requirements). It can be purchased for $35 through the AMCAS website. Also access the US News & World Report "Best Medical Schools", much of which is on-line (there's no doubt a link to it thru SDN if you search, too). More detailed info is available if you subscribe to it. Finally, access the specific website of any medical school you develop an interest in on-line to get the mission statement of the school (primary care, research oriented, serving a specific population), curriculum details, pictures of the campus, and other school-specific information.