Advice: Buying Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C@rol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am starting to prepare for the MCAT. Right now I am looking to buy study materials that will provide me with good explanations and background (will supplement with Khan), and will later focus on questions and test strategies.

I was thinking of buying The Berkeley Review (TBR) for Biology, Gen chem, Orgo, and Phys. However, I need help choosing books for Psych/Socio and CARS.

I took Psychology and Sociology during the first semester of my freshman year, so I do not remember much. I would really appreciate books that really cover the MCAT's content.

Also, any advice on free/cheap resources would be greatly appreciated! (very broke atm!!!)

Members don't see this ad.

After reading a lot about what books to choose, it seems like most people prefer EK's Biology books for content review (and BR's Biology for passage practice).

The most highly talked about CARS book seems to be TPR Hyperlink Verbal Workbook.

Psych/Soc seems to be a toss up. I feel like noone really know which one is best? I'm starting to think Khan Academy would suffice. I personally got Kaplan's book (for content review) but that's only because noone mentioned any better ones. I plan to take advantage of Khan Academy for psych/soc unless people start raving about a psych/soc book :/ I have heard that NS Psychology and Sociology Strategy and Practice book is solid for psych/soc passage practice though

Hello everyone!

I am starting to prepare for the MCAT. Right now I am looking to buy study materials that will provide me with good explanations and background (will supplement with Khan), and will later focus on questions and test strategies.

I was thinking of buying The Berkeley Review (TBR) for Biology, Gen chem, Orgo, and Phys. However, I need help choosing books for Psych/Socio and CARS.

I took Psychology and Sociology during the first semester of my freshman year, so I do not remember much. I would really appreciate books that really cover the MCAT's content.

Also, any advice on free/cheap resources would be greatly appreciated! (very broke atm!!!)

I had TPR for P/S and honestly I wasn't a huge fan.. If I could go back in time I would still buy it but I would use Khan Academy more than I did. I think Khan academy videos plus the 1001 psych questions book would suffice.

Not sure about CARS (I think that doing a lot of critical reading of anything really helps - strategy for CARS is kind of a joke to me) but for P/S, use Khan Academy for sure and supplement that with a book. I think any book would do - I used Kaplan myself and found them to be adequate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about CARS (I think that doing a lot of critical reading of anything really helps - strategy for CARS is kind of a joke to me) but for P/S, use Khan Academy for sure and supplement that with a book. I think any book would do - I used Kaplan myself and found them to be adequate.
How often do you suggest practicing CARS? Should I rotate CARS like I do the other sections every week or should I do CARS more often (every day, every other day, etc.)?

How often do you suggest practicing CARS? Should I rotate CARS like I do the other sections every week or should I do CARS more often (every day, every other day, etc.)?

I wouldn't focus on CARS at the expense of the other sections or neglect it to the detriment of the other sections. Treat it as any other section. But remember that doing any sort of critical reading helps you develop your critical reading skills, whether reading a novel, a science journal, or an op-ed.

Reactions: 1 user