DO Advice/Chances? 3.6 sGPA / 3.7 cGPA / 25 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinosuke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my MCAT is low even after a retake, 9/8/8 (previously 8/8/8) and okay GPA.

-Clinical volunteer activities
400 hours in a hospital working with patients
-Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours)
90 hours, shadowed a rotation of MD 2/3rd year residents
-Research
Internship at a company as a Chemical Analyst (worked with GC-MS) for half a year about 20 hours a week
-Nonclinical volunteer activities
Rotaract club for 2 years
-Employment
Medical Scribe Trauma 2 center - 2k+ hours
Medical Assistant Private Orthopedists office - 1k~ hours

Applied to two cycles of medical school already. I am a NJ resident.

1st cycle: Applied to Rowan, NYIT, CUSOM, ACOM, PCOM, PCOM Georgia

Received an interview at CUSOM, got waitlisted and did not get in.

2nd Cycle: Applied to only CUSOM (to show I really wanted to go to their school and took a risk). Got waitlisted and did not get in again :(.

Current cycle: Applied to CUSOM, Rowan, ACOM, RVUCOM (Utah and Colorado), AT Still University Arizona, St. George's (Caribbean).

MCAT:
Currently I work at a family dry cleaner's because of some family issues and have not had time to study for the new MCAT. I do plan to take the test in January. For me, I was averaging 30 if not high 20s on practice tests, but every time I took the MCAT I've been getting mid 20s (24/25 respectively).

Secondary invites: CUSOM, Rowan, ACOM, RVUCOM (Utah and Colorado), AT Still University Arizona
Current Interview invites: St. George's.

No rejections post secondary but no interview invites from DO schools yet.

I'll be honest, I don't want to go to the Caribbean for medical school and applied as a last ditch effort.

Do I have a shot at DO school or is it impossible for me with my scores? I have been trying to get as much clinical experience and patient interaction as possible during my gap years while earning some money.

I just don't feel confident after no interview invites during first cycle other than CUSOM. No interview invites currently either and I have been completed since August. Please help me out!

I also want to note, I have 4 letters from MDs I have worked with, but no DOs. I have worked with MDs and have seen DOs work in the hospital I worked at, but was not close enough to ask for letters. Should I definitely try and shadow a DO, life is kind of hectic right now working and studying as it is. Is it absolutely crucial do you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

Frankly, this was outright stupid. DO schools have no idea where you're applying.

2nd Cycle: Applied to only CUSOM (to show I really wanted to go to their school and took a risk). Got waitlisted and did not get in again :(.

You need to apply more broadly. A LOT more broadly. Add UIW, NYITCOM-AR, both LECOMs, KYCOM, LMU, WVSOM, and ACOM.

Don't even think about going to SGU unless you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt. Gullible marks like you fatten their coffers.

Do NOT retake the MCAT; you've hit your plateau, and will not magically improve.

Current cycle: Applied to CUSOM, Rowan, ACOM, RVUCOM (Utah and Colorado), AT Still University Arizona, St. George's (Caribbean).
Secondary invites: CUSOM, Rowan, ACOM, RVUCOM (Utah and Colorado), AT Still University Arizona

I'll be honest, I don't want to go to the Caribbean for medical school and applied as a last ditch effort.

You need to get a DO LOR. I have DO colleagues who'd reject you for not chatting up the DOs in your hospital. Make the effort if you want a career in this profession. 4 MD LORs is overkill for any med school, too.

I also want to note, I have 4 letters from MDs I have worked with, but no DOs. I have worked with MDs and have seen DOs work in the hospital I worked at, but was not close enough to ask for letters. Should I definitely try and shadow a DO, life is kind of hectic right now working and studying as it is. Is it absolutely crucial do you feel?[/QUOTE]

These are DO schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats so consider applying to all of them this week:
ARCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas
ATSU-SOMA
You could try all the LECOM's also though your chances would be less likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, this was outright stupid. DO schools have no idea where you're applying.

You need to apply more broadly. A LOT more broadly. Add UIW, NYITCOM-AR, both LECOMs, KYCOM, LMU, WVSOM, and ACOM.

Don't even think about going to SGU unless you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt. Gullible marks like you fatten their coffers.

Do NOT retake the MCAT; you've hit your plateau, and will not magically improve.

You need to get a DO LOR. I have DO colleagues who'd reject you for not chatting up the DOs in your hospital. Make the effort if you want a career in this profession. 4 MD LORs is overkill for any med school, too.

I also want to note, I have 4 letters from MDs I have worked with, but no DOs. I have worked with MDs and have seen DOs work in the hospital I worked at, but was not close enough to ask for letters. Should I definitely try and shadow a DO, life is kind of hectic right now working and studying as it is. Is it absolutely crucial do you feel?
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the reply. I will add more schools and find a DO to shadow and get a letter.

At the interview I had with CUSOM, one of the interviewers recommended I get more letters from MDs since they were all people I have worked with for over a year, which is why I went a little overboard this cycle. I'll only get 1-2 letters from now on.

These are DO schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats so consider applying to all of them this week:
ARCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas
ATSU-SOMA
You could try all the LECOM's also though your chances would be less likely.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will certainly look into these schools and apply to any I can!