Advice/chances for THE WORST pre-dental ever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to SDN, and have read it many times, but am finally actually going to post and would really appreciate any feedback.

I have been pre-dental since freshman year, and was sure it was what i wanted to do. Well here are my stats:

Bio major, oGPA 3.31 sGPA 2.94

Classes:
Bio 1&2/A
Physics 1&2/A
Chem 1:B, 2 C
Ochem 1: D, B+ second time, ochem 2: C+

I've also taken a lot of upper level bio classes, getting all B's/B+'s

I took the DAT twice, the first time scored 18/18/18, nothing below a 16. The second time a year later, receiving 18/16/16 (QR was a 13!!!!). The main reason was because I pretty much studied all of ochem/bio in 2 nights and spent a week on gen chem (got a 20 in that section) and didn't look at PAT/anything else (it's a long story, I was emotionally unstable and couldn't concentrate for very long). I was going to apply this cycle, but because of my terrible DAT retake, and after much heartbreak, I decided to wait.

Things aren't looking too great for me. I am a senior and received a D in biochem this past semster and a C+ in another science class having my lowest gpa ever (a 2.7 for the semester). I only have one semester left and am taking another couple of easier bio classes i should be able to do well in. The only thing is, I'm really depressed about this whole thing and feel like I have no chances because of my insane downward trend.

I don't, thank God, have an excuse for why my stats have lowered, or why I was not able to achieve something I wanted so badly. I love science and am a smart person overall who has almost a 4.0 in non-science courses. I really do want to go to dental school though, and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of where to begin with getting out of this rut? I don't have a lot of money and already have a lot of loans, so a master's program is pretty much out of the question. I just don't even know where to begin, and how I got on this downward trend.

*Also, I'm mainly looking at UIC and UoP

Members don't see this ad.

overall down trend both gpa and dat

yea...

good luck but realistically you would have to do masters program otherwise youre gonna waste money on aadsas application

what the two previous posters said. Anything more optimistic would be merely perpetuating wishful thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things don't look good for you. Whatever it is that you are doing, do the opposite from now on.
Your science GPA is too low. Definitely prepare better for the DAT and you need to find out a way to raise your science GPA (Master's, postbacc., etc.). The biggest problem here is not your GPA, DAT, or any other number. The problem is you. You need to improve your time-management skills, prioritize studying, improve study skills, and put in more effort (don't tell me that you already tried your best because if you did, then you should consider another profession).
If you're lucky enough, maybe you can get interviewed at VCU and become eligible for their D.5 program however, at this point, your application is not yet strong enough to be even considered for an interview (average matriculate is 3.6 GPA and 20 DAT).

My opinion is that UoP is out of the question.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to SDN, and have read it many times, but am finally actually going to post and would really appreciate any feedback.

I have been pre-dental since freshman year, and was sure it was what i wanted to do. Well here are my stats:

Classes:
Bio 1&2/A
Physics 1&2/A

I took the DAT twice, the first time scored 18/18/18, nothing below a 16. The second time a year later, receiving 18/16/16 (QR was a 13!!!!). The main reason was because I pretty much studied all of ochem/bio in 2 nights and spent a week on gen chem (got a 20 in that section) and didn't look at PAT/anything else (it's a long story, I was emotionally unstable and couldn't concentrate for very long). I was going to apply this cycle, but because of my terrible DAT retake, and after much heartbreak, I decided to wait.

Things aren't looking too great for me. I am a senior and received a D in biochem this past semster and a C+ in another science class having my lowest gpa ever (a 2.7 for the semester). I only have one semester left and am taking another couple of easier bio classes i should be able to do well in. The only thing is, I'm really depressed about this whole thing and feel like I have no chances because of my insane downward trend.

I don't, thank God, have an excuse for why my stats have lowered, or why I was not able to achieve something I wanted so badly. I love science and am a smart person overall who has almost a 4.0 in non-science courses. I really do want to go to dental school though, and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of where to begin with getting out of this rut? I don't have a lot of money and already have a lot of loans, so a master's program is pretty much out of the question. I just don't even know where to begin, and how I got on this downward trend.

This looks just like the post earlier by Meryl Land. Are you the same guy, because your stats sure do match his.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=979581

This looks just like the post earlier by Meryl Land. Are you the same guy, because your stats sure do match his.

No... I'm a girl...?!? And I'm being completely serious right now and am offended that you'd think I'd do that just because I'm a new member...

No... I'm a girl...?!? And I'm being completely serious right now and am offended that you'd think I'd do that just because I'm a new member...

What do other SDNers think? Is this a troll? Please tell me these two are not the same people.

The GPA is the same, its how the BCP courses are listed in the same order with the same grades. The repeat for organic chemistry 1 was even the same, and they even made the same grade when retaken. The D in biochemistry for both was the same. The B/B+ , as noted, in upper level bio classes were the same.

They basically got the same transcript. I'm just saying....

Last edited:
I've seen people who started out worse but eventually got in.

Hope is not lost so long as you make some personal changes.

Be honest, would you want the current you to be your dentist. Imagine a future, more-improved you and then be that person.

Thank you so much everyone for your posts. I really appreciate it. I know I have a lot of work to do, and after all I've had to go through mentally and emotionally over the past few years, it seems like I have a lot to do to go forward. Does anyone have any suggestions for good *cheap" master's programs? I am sort of thinking that is the best way to go.

As for "nondescriptive," I don't know what you're talking about. Honestly this is just really rude and unwelcoming on SDN. I came here for advice on my situation just like you did. You're very ill-mannered and low class for calling me a liar and a troll.

high-road-fail.jpg

welcome to the internet!

As for "nondescriptive," I don't know what you're talking about. Honestly this is just really rude and unwelcoming on SDN. I came here for advice on my situation just like you did. You're very ill-mannered and low class for calling me a liar and a troll.

Shut up. We'll let the rest of SDN decide.

What do other SDNers think? Is this a troll? Please tell me these two are not the same people.

definitely a troll

and not the smart witty kind

since im a nice person ill give you an honest opinion

you suck

calling yourself a "smart person" is a proof that youre stupid

good luck but with your numbers you need more than luck....to realize that you don't have a chance at dschool

I suggest acupuncture or naturopath

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely a troll

you suck

good luck but with your numbers you need more than luck....to realize that you don't have a chance at dschool

:smuggrin::laugh::laugh:

definitely a troll

you suck

You can't call someone stupid and not use apostrophes or periods while you do it... I cannot believe how horrible some people are to others on this forum.

You can't call someone stupid and not use apostrophes or periods while you do it... I cannot believe how horrible some people are to others on this forum.

:laugh::laugh:

Well, since you asked....you don't stand a chance. It's only gonna keep on getting harder to get into dental school, and your stats keep getting worse.

As someone who had and still has ****ty gpa , here is my opinion in bold
Hey everyone,

Classes:
Bio 1&2/A
Physics 1&2/A

This shows you are academically immature. You should be aware that you have only 3 chances to retake DAT, after that it's all petition.More than your GPA, it's your GPA holding you back.Also, some schools average DAT scores, which might work against you.
What have you learned during the whole undergrad. I really don't understand why you didn't stopped taking bio classes when you couldn't get As in your easier courses.
I don't, thank God, have an excuse for why my stats have lowered, or why I was not able to achieve something I wanted so badly. This doesn't make sense to me. You knew you wanted this so badly and your GPA doesn't show your desire. And 4 years of low GPA can't be blamed only but to your immaturity I love science and am a smart person overall who has almost a 4.0 in non-science courses Your gpa says otherwise about how smart you are. I really do want to go to dental school though, and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of where to begin with getting out of this rut? I don't have a lot of money and already have a lot of loans, so a master's program is pretty much out of the question.You need master's or postbac, unless you are URM. Pay off your loans, save money and tackle down your prereqs again. Or you could try to get into dental school in 10 years if you become Texas resident. There is this program(??)called academic forgiveness, which all your past GPAs are wiped out. Google about it. Otherwise, you do need a strong DAT and a masters. I just don't even know where to begin, and how I got on this downward trend.

*Also, I'm mainly looking at UIC and UoP[/QUOTE]

UOP looks for upward trend + high DAT. You have two main things against to what they are looking for

First thing first, you need to check your own capabilities. And I mean REALLY check it. Only you know your own capabilities. If you know you are capable of being a good student, now check what you are doing wrong. Do you cram? not study efficiently? bad time management?.
Lastly, if this is what you really want. WORK YOUR ASS OFF. Many of us are working hard to keep good GPA or get good DAT scores and build ECs. If you really want to become a dentist, do the same.

Last edited:
Well, since you asked....you don't stand a chance. It's only gonna keep on getting harder to get into dental school, and your stats keep getting worse.

For the troll thing, the GPA is eerily similar, however the DATs are not, so I'll remain skeptical of the OP being a troll. However, as for the chance question... Sorry, but with a downward trend and a low DAT... You'll have to do some work before you apply again.

Now, I'm not saying it's impossible. I am an underdog myself so I love to see those in unfortunate situations come out on top; though, in my brutally honest opinion, you're going to need to do a couple years of hard science classes to prove to dental schools that you can do it. Even then it's going to be hard. As for your goals for UoP, you're going to need to CRUSH that DAT! I'm talking a minimum of a 23 to get them to look at you. I really miss predent.com because it could show you their trends. UoP looks heavily at DAT scores. I wish you the best of luck!

For the troll thing, the GPA is eerily similar, however the DATs are not, so I'll remain skeptical of the OP being a troll.

It's not just the GPA, its how the BCP courses are listed in the same order with the same grades. The repeat for organic chemistry 1 was even the same, and they even made the same grade when retaken. The D in biochemistry for both was the same. The B/B+ , as noted, in upper level bio classes were the same.

It's not just the GPA, its how the BCP courses are listed in the same order with the same grades. The repeat for organic chemistry 1 was even the same, and they even made the same grade when retaken. The D in biochemistry for both was the same. The B/B+ , as noted, in upper level bio classes were the same.

Yeah I think you're right. That meryl person's "DAT scores" are probably this troll's projected scores for their 3rd try lol.

Good point... But I pose a question in the other thread, answer that and I'll believe it.

UPDATE: just looked at both profiles... I completely agree. Waaaaay too many similarities... But I just don't see why someone would bother wasting other people's time. Oh well. I still wish them the best in life... Regardless of their odd posting...

Last edited:
Good point... But I pose a question in the other thread, answer that and I'll believe it.

Like someone above said, thats probably the goal. And 20/20/20, thats a strange score and something to aim for. That's why its not that far off that its a made up score. Other than that, the way the two threads flow when I read it, I'm pretty sure they're the same person.

But whatever, I just thought they reposted because they wanted more comments and advice.

troll or not troll that is irrelevant at this point

whats really important is the horrible numbers

i have pretty crummy stats but op's numbers are just...smh

seriously op im not trying to troll here but you should look into naturopath or acupuncture...or grocery cashier

seriously op im not trying to troll here but you should look into naturopath or acupuncture...or grocery cashier

Or Law! If the OP really is good at non science courses then follow that path... Take the LSAT (way easier than the DAT) and apply to a local law school, there are hundreds of those and they aren't nearly as difficult to get into.

Or Law! If the OP really is good at non science courses then follow that path... Take the LSAT (way easier than the DAT) and apply to a local law school, there are hundreds of those and they aren't nearly as difficult to get into.

yea apply to a local law school and local law school only

you will definitely find a high paying job by the time you graduate...oh wait

You forgot podiatry brah.

You know what's a dead give away to me? People can change facts but they can't change their fingerprint. In this case, its their typing fingerprint. Very even flow, heavy use of commas and, IMO, pretty good prose. Lol.

yea apply to a local law school and local law school only

you will definitely find a high paying job by the time you graduate...oh wait

Law can be... Mildly rewarding... It's not always about the money. It's about helping people and... Oh what am I saying... I dropped law for dentistry because I realized what a waste of time it was years ago. I shouldn't be trying to sell someone else on a bad idea.

Law can be... Mildly rewarding... It's not always about the money. It's about helping people and... Oh what am I saying... I dropped law for dentistry because I realized what a waste of time it was years ago. I shouldn't be trying to sell someone else on a bad idea.

Yeah, both my best friends are lawyers. They make decent money but its a rather boring job. If they had to do it again they would do something else.

youre right

its not about the money

but i don't think there is a carribean law school

youre right

its not about the money

but i don't think there is a carribean law school

Google, "law school rankings," scroll to the bottom of the list, those would be the equivalents.

Google, "law school rankings," scroll to the bottom of the list, those would be the equivalents.

you realize that you just trolled on those low ranking law schools.

awesome

welcome to the brotherhood

what was the original post about? lol. Good thing we have SDN CSI working on this case! Thanks guys!

Hey everyone,

Classes:
Bio 1&2/A
Physics 1&2/A

I don't wanna put you down, but even with an improved DAT (20+) UoP is highly unlikely. I know a little about their admission process and they... look for very special applicants, and rightfully so, their curriculum is very intense.

If your serious about this path, you will need some post-bacc work (Im going to guesstimate 20-30 credits) of SOLID PERFORMANCE 3.5+ and a DAT retake. You will also need to broaden your school selection, people with better stats are applying to more schools... you need more schools (i'd say 10-12)

I say, if you're really serious, take a few years away from school and work. Give yourself a chance to reset. Try and do research full-time if you can. Save as much money as possible. (Live at home if necessary.) Then, after you've had a chance to breathe, take some harder classes. Show that you can maintain a solid 3.5+ GPA and that you've wizened up.

My guess is that it's your senior year and you've done a little too much partying and lost some perspective. I think you just need to take a breather and some time away from school before re-attacking your classes. By letting your sGPA fall, it makes me think you're burnt out and unmotivated. So you just want to show the admissions committee that you've had some time to reflect, grown up a little bit, and that you'll do better in the future.

Do you think I should re-take the pre-req's for a post-bacc? Or just take 5-6 upper level bio classes at once?

^^haha sometimes i feel like i can only be a grocery store cashier... lol

Last edited:
Do you think I should re-take the pre-req's for a post-bacc? Or just take 5-6 upper level bio classes at once?

^^haha sometimes i feel like i can only be a grocery store cashier... lol

All of the above. You NEED to retake any grades C- or lower. A postbac or masters would be a good choice but even then nothing is guaranteed. Given your track record you should evaluate whether you can handle 5-6 courses at a time, or if ds is really for you.

I think how hard dental school is...is dependant upon your expectations. I did extremely well in undergrad and graduated with a 3.97 and a 3.92 science GPA, but dental school was hard for me. My preconceived notion was that it was going to be easier than undergrad because I was "already in". I didn't try as hard as I did in undergrad and that mentality bit me in the ass in dental school. By the way, some of the best dental students are the ones who did poorly in undergrad because they feel they have something to prove (either to themselves or to others).Dental school is hard, I don't care what anyone says. I've said this before on other blogs, different people handle the stress differently...some people hide their true feelings with a very cocky and laissez-faire attitude. It's hard on some level for everyone. There is no possible way that you are fantastic at every science and dental class, great with your hands, on top of everything and great with patients from the minute you walk into dental school. Anyone who says it is a piece of cake is full of "it". It is doable. I love the choice I made to be a dentist, believe me, after dental school. I really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into becoming a dentist. My point is this, dental school will emphasize and bring out your weak areas. If you work to recognize and overcome your weaknesses you will become not only a better dentist, but a better person.

I would use this as an opportunity to prove myself. It only gets harder in dental school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3881724&postcount=22