Advice: choosing between two audition dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got the opportunity to do an audition sub-I at my first choice program either mid-August to mid-September or from mid-October to mid-November.

If I do the earlier one, it seems the advantage is that I could be sure of getting an LOR earlier (or on time).

If I do the later one, it seems that I might be able to perform a little better having had a few other rotations done up front and that I'd maybe be fresher in their mind when interview invites start being offered.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've got the opportunity to do an audition sub-I at my first choice program either mid-August to mid-September or from mid-October to mid-November.

If I do the earlier one, it seems the advantage is that I could be sure of getting an LOR earlier (or on time).

If I do the later one, it seems that I might be able to perform a little better having had a few other rotations done up front and that I'd maybe be fresher in their mind when interview invites start being offered.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Is your audition rotation at a totally fantastic, "better than sex" program and will your attending be the director of NIH, from which a letter will guarantee you admission to any residency you want? If so, do it early and work your a s s off. If it's not, do it later.

In reality, an away rotation in IM is mostly for you to determine if you like that place, not to buff your CV. Do it because you want to find out what that place is like, not because you need one more good LOR. If you happen to get a good LOR out of it then you're in business.

Red Beard: I originally had the same plan as you; however, I'm now leaning towards doing the later month. I figured if you do a good job, you could always just ask the attending to make a call or drop an email to the PD if possible. Otherwise if you do so-so, which could happen, then like gutonic said, you get a first hand look to see if you like the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input.

This isn't a "better than sex" program, as you put it, but in a location I (and lots of other people) want to be in that has limited other residency options for IM.

My mission is to:

1) Make sure I would be happy training there
2) Maximize my chances of matching there if I do end up liking it

I fyou are going to be short on LOR do it early if not I would do the later one. If your lucky you could get an iinterview for the last few days of the rotation or soon after it. That way you are still fresh in their minds and may get an overall better eval

I fyou are going to be short on LOR do it early if not I would do the later one. If your lucky you could get an iinterview for the last few days of the rotation or soon after it. That way you are still fresh in their minds and may get an overall better eval

It is several years later. How did this turn out? H