Advice, Comments & Opinions welcomed & needed.. PLEASE-Pre-Med Transfer Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryslebron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently applying as a sophmore to a transfer school..
My major is Biology.. I always here that Biology is not the way to go because God-forbid things don't go the way I planned, there's not really much I can do..

I also heard that it is very hard to get a good GPA with a Science Core like that.. therefore making it difficult to get accepted into medical school..

I am in my third semester at a community college. I was inducted into the Phi Theta Kappa Honor society with a 3.75 gpa... EC's include: singing & playing guitar to ICU patients in the Cardiovascular floor, with patients who are recovering from surgery.. I did this for about a good 4 months..
I also volunteer at the Ronald McDonald house in my city, I LOVE IT.
I volunteered at the homeless shelter in my city as well..

I am very commited to my faith, so much of my time is consumed in church. I am one of the directors of music for vocals & the band. I've been doing that for about 3 years now..

I haven't had much time to do as many things as I probably should when compared to other students who take part of researches, but that's because I am so consumed and commited to school, church & position, & volunteering..

I've this vision from a young age to be a doctor. The volunteer work that I have done only pushes me more to complete it.. Once I am an established doctor, I want to give back to the people around me.. I plan to go out and do missionary trips down the road...

with all that being said.. I am planning on transferring for this coming fall of 2012.

Cornell University has reached out to me through Phi Theta Kappa & encourage me to apply.
I will be applying for Columbia, NYU, & Harvard(crazy i know, but i want to know that at least I tried.)

I believe i have a lot to offer, in the sense that I genuinely want to serve others...

What are my chances? Do i have the right mindset?
Can anyone tell me about these schools?

Thanks you all:)
Crys:)

Members don't see this ad.

Why on Earth would anyone even say that? Do you know how much biology related material is in medical school? Like, say, anatomy and physiology for starters?

My major is Biology.. I always here that Biology is not the way to go because God-forbid things don't go the way I planned, there's not really much I can do..

You heard wrong, if you're willing to work for it.

I also heard that it is very hard to get a good GPA with a Science Core like that.. therefore making it difficult to get accepted into medical school..

Very good so far, and yes.

What are my chances? Do i have the right mindset?