Advice desperately needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shikki79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student on F1 visa and do not have permanent residence (I can't apply for it either unless I marry a U.S citizen or something..and I am would only do that if I fall in love with a U.S citizen, I am not a green card hungry opportunist).
Any suggestions for improving my chances of getting accepted to medical school or dental school or optometry school?
I know most state schools won't even accept me due to Federal restrictions. Private schools don't have these restrictions but in addtion t being harder to get into,often have restrictions for financial aid ( which I will need). Any experiences that international student's in my position have had will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a good student with a 3.7 cumulative GPA which I plan on raising to at least a 3.8 by the time I apply to medical school or dental school or optometry school ( whichever one takes me..I would just like to serve people in the health profession).Any advice is appreciated especially with respect to test scores that will help me shine, or essay suggestions. I am desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

WashU is a good bet. They take a lot of international students, and they have a bunch of merit based scholarships.

The only two schools that offer financial aid to international students are Harvard and Yale. So, if you have a shot at getting into one of those, study your butt off and try to make it there.

Other than that, you're on your own with other med schools. There are plenty of loan sources available, if you're interested in that.

It sounds like you did your undergrad in the US, which helps. The US schools consider US/Canadian and sometimes UK/Australian schools to be about the same level. If you did your undergrad elsewhere, you'll probably have to do a year or two in the US to get an acceptance.

i heard, though not positive, that it's way tougher for non-citizens to get accepted to med school. being a permanent resident for many years, i was told that i should consider becoming a us citizen if i wanted to improve my chances on being a doctor. i eventually became one, and i guess one of the perqs may be an easier acceptance rate... but like i said, i just heard it through the grapevine.

tough news, but i'd assume that an f-1 visa is even more difficult, being that you're not allowed to work without ins approval and that the visa basically runs out after graduation. reason being, why train a doctor for us certification when they can't even work here. i would think you need to get at least a permanent residence to have a decent chance at acceptance. i would try to contact each and every school and talk to the admissions director for more detailed info. they know more than most of us probably do...

I'd spend Christmas worrying 'bout something else. It's not gonna change in 3 days- so cool out and have some fun! --Trek