Advice: Family, Grades, Experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRMCB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 with a BA-Economics and will be finishing up an MA-Economics later this year. I first wanted to be a doctor in hs and began pre-med for my undergrad work. But, obviously, I ended up studying economics, which I enjoyed. Unfortunately, I don't get as much satisfaction from my work as I'd hoped. I believe that medicine would give me that sense of doing something socially important and satisfying.

I still have a few of the pre-med classes to complete and will be starting in a post-bac program next year. I'm looking at applying to start an md/do program in fall 2004.

Here are the issues that run through my mind... I'd appreciate any advice/feedback...

1) AGE/FAMILY: I'm older than most medical students and am married with a child. My wife supports me in my desire to be a doctor and if she works while I'm in school, we should be fine financially. But I do have concerns about the amount of time that medical school will require and whether or not I will still be able to be the dad/husband that I want to be. Anyone else in this situation or have advice?

2) GRADES: My undergraduate grades were less than steller... I ended up with a 3.2. In my graduate work I have earned at 4.0 and hope to be able to earn high marks in the post-bac program next year (if I can't, not much point in medical school, I figure!) From your experience, what are my chances with admission? I'm looking at Chicago area medical schools -- UIC, Rush, Midwestern ...

3) HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE/VOLUNTEERING: I have some experience in healthcare through volunteering throughout hs and undergraduate school, but need to get more clinical experience. Clinical volunteer opportunities in a hospital are few and far between, it seems. I plan to shadow a couple of physicians in coming weeks, which I hope to continue to do over the next couple of years. I've also looked into EMT classes, which seem like they would provide some clinical experience. The drawback of the EMT program, as I see it, is that it will be difficult to do that, finish up my MA-Econ (which I want to do because it would look bad if I stopped short of earning the degree and I do enjoy studying econ), start the post-bac courses, and have time with my wife and child. What types of opportunities have others found? Any suggestions about other things I might look into or do you think that shadowing phys and maybe even some non-clinical hospital volunteering would be adequate?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Some general comments:

age: You are over the avg age, but that doesn't mean much. at UIC, for example, there are students ranging in age up to 53. Some married, some pregnant, some even barefoot.

grades: yours aren't stellar, true, but they need not be stellar for admission. you have world experience, and if you do well post bac, and on the mcat, you're well on your way.

exp: you should have some experience to point to when being interviewed, or for the essay, which will allow the adcom to believe that you know what you're getting yourself into. do something clinical -- emt, shadow, whatever. get into it, and see for yourself what it's all about. it's NOT for everyone, and it's not as glamourous as one may believe.

For all this, you may want to make an appt with an admissions counselor at the school of your choice, and let them know that you're really interested... ask where to take post bac courses... what sort of experience would be looked more favorably upon, etc... maybe even sneak into an m1 lecture.

best of luck!