advice for 2nd year of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voltron77

4th year Medical Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a close friend who is getting ready to start her 2nd year of medical school. I have given her all the advice and helpful tips I had......anyone else care to share their thoughts or advice on 2nd year of medical school?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
Second year is where you build upon the foundation that you set during first your. Do not worry about how much you think that you forgot of the first year stuff. That stuff will be up for review during your review for USMLE/COMLEX. It is easy to review what you have learned in the first place so don't worry, you will recall this stuff.

You will have plenty of time to study for your boards. You do not need to take any time away from your coursework to do board study. The best thing that you can do is master your coursework in the first place. Pharm is a good review of neuroscience/biochemistry and path is a good review of histology. If you have been on a systems based curriculum, you just keep going through your systems and start your review at the end.

Second year is a good time to start reading journals like New England Journal of Medicine if you have not been doing so. Spend some time reading the Case Reports and look carefully at the manner in which the cases are presented and discussed. Present the cases to each other as this is good practice for presenting patients to attending physicians.

When you get your new diagnostic tools, use the othalmoscope and look into every patient's eyes. Dim the light in the room and turn your light down a bit. At first you will only see a vessel. Then you will learn to follow that vessel to the disc and then you will learn to observe pathology. You will never acquire this skill unless you practice. Look at everyone and get this done.

Learn to listen to patients and glean the information that you need to get a good history. Once you become facile at doing the physical exam, you can do a review of systems while you do the exam starting at the head and working down.

At this point, you should be pretty familiar with study skills that bring success in medicine. Now, you start to develop the style that will enable you to become a good physician. Take a medical Spanish course if you get a chance and enjoy this year.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
You do not need to take any time away from your coursework to do board study.

true...BUT!...Get a First Aid if you are the rare non OCD medstudent that didn't run out and buy one right when you got accepted. ANNOTATE IT AS YOU GO THROUGH YOUR CLASSES. Its a pain in the ass, it will add time to your studying all year...you'll think "why the f*ck am I doing this?". And here is why: any idiot can pass all their classes second year (sorry if you failed a class second year but either you were distracted by a tragedy [legit] or you're a dipsh*t) The time it takes will not impede on your studying so much as to affect your grade and you will be so thankfull that you did it come boards time that you will beg to kiss my a$$ in gratitude (not necessary, a simple donation will do). I annotated every subject but Path and anatomy/embryology as I went and when I tried to go through and annotate them come board time it took up a TON of time better spent studying. Learn from my mistakes...it is so worth it, you WILL be glad you did it.

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
Hi there,
Second year is where you build upon the foundation that you set during first your. Do not worry about how much you think that you forgot of the first year stuff. That stuff will be up for review during your review for USMLE/COMLEX. It is easy to review what you have learned in the first place so don't worry, you will recall this stuff.

You will have plenty of time to study for your boards. You do not need to take any time away from your coursework to do board study. The best thing that you can do is master your coursework in the first place. Pharm is a good review of neuroscience/biochemistry and path is a good review of histology. If you have been on a systems based curriculum, you just keep going through your systems and start your review at the end.

Second year is a good time to start reading journals like New England Journal of Medicine if you have not been doing so. Spend some time reading the Case Reports and look carefully at the manner in which the cases are presented and discussed. Present the cases to each other as this is good practice for presenting patients to attending physicians.

When you get your new diagnostic tools, use the othalmoscope and look into every patient's eyes. Dim the light in the room and turn your light down a bit. At first you will only see a vessel. Then you will learn to follow that vessel to the disc and then you will learn to observe pathology. You will never acquire this skill unless you practice. Look at everyone and get this done.

Learn to listen to patients and glean the information that you need to get a good history. Once you become facile at doing the physical exam, you can do a review of systems while you do the exam starting at the head and working down.

At this point, you should be pretty familiar with study skills that bring success in medicine. Now, you start to develop the style that will enable you to become a good physician. Take a medical Spanish course if you get a chance and enjoy this year.

njbmd :)
Great Post! Thanks!

I just found a used First Aid for USMLE step one book for $9 on Amazon.com. They have an option where you can pick the used books instead of new (which was $35). There's a bunch of used ones for sale there and the prices vary b/c of the different conditions of the books, but if you don't mind a little wear and tear it'd probably worth it to save yourself some moola.

Just thought ya'll would like to know...

During medical school, I mostly studied from class notes and review books. I agree, First Aid for step I is a great resource, especially when used in conjunction with other study materials. There are also several other review books in the big specialties, Phys, Pharm, Path that are also very good. A little review during your classes can help a lot and does not interfere with doing well in your courses.

Seeing the material in First Aid prior to your set aside study period can be really helpful. You'll be able to spend your time reviewing your weaker areas instead of trying to remember what the third pharyngeal pouch becomes.

If you're interested in any of the ultra-competitive specialties or early match specialties, it may also be wise to start talking to advisors and program directors in those areas. A little case-control review paper looks really good when applying for residency but is not always necessary.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

my advice for second year is DON'T GO TO CLASS. I virtually stopped showing up for anything that wasn't mandatory & studied the class material on my own. I may be the exception here, but my average went up about 10 points after I stopped going to class. Find your own system & stick to it no matter what everyone else is doing. Good luck.