Advice for a D1 student interested in OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imanee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm a first year dental student, who's interested in OMFS. I've been thinking about doing research this summer and asking an OMFS if I can shadow them during the summer. I'm interested in learning more about the specialty. Just some side facts about myself: Prior to dental school, I worked 4 years as a a dental hygienist and 5 years as a front office staff member. My last job as an RDH was working at a prosthodontic office.

I just wanted to ask if there is any advice or suggestions about what to do my first summer. Is there anything you wish you would have known or done in dental school to help you further investigate a specialty? Any tips and comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
:D

Members don't see this ad.

These are great ideas. Do research in OMFS this summer. Preferably do it with one of the OMFS attendings at your school. Observe the residents as much as you can. Finally be the best. Study more and practice more than all your classmates. You won't have any scores on your boards, so class rank is the only objective factor program directors will have. Finally be prepared for a whole lot of hard work. Shadow the residents for entire days at a time. Make sure you really do want to live that life for four years.

These are great ideas. Do research in OMFS this summer. Preferably do it with one of the OMFS attendings at your school. Observe the residents as much as you can. Finally be the best. Study more and practice more than all your classmates. You won't have any scores on your boards, so class rank is the only objective factor program directors will have. Finally be prepared for a whole lot of hard work. Shadow the residents for entire days at a time. Make sure you really do want to live that life for four years.

Thanks Ou_jay for the advice. I appreciate it.