Advice For a First Year Premed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqua11230

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am going to start my first year in college as a pre med and was wondering if there was any advice for me, or any advice you would you had before you started on this journy!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Work hard in your classes, get a solid gpa, volunteer at a hospital, and don't come back here for two years.

Pinkertinkle said:
don't come back here for two years.

Best advice you could get.
And, I'm not kidding.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. Feel free to hang around here. There is a lot of of good info. When I started college, I lurked around here for a couple of years and learned pretty much everything I needed to know about being a premed in the process.

Focus on your classes. It's easy to get distracted by partying, being lazy, whatever. Definately have fun, though. You should work on time-management from day one so that you study reguarly and still have time to go out and get drunk and hit on drunk girls. If you get time-management figured out early, it will pay of big time as your classes get harder.

Get involved with clinical volunteer/work ASAP. It's one of the most important EC's you can do; the more the better. Starting early will also open doors in the future.

If you have time, get involved with campus organizations. There are a lot of cool people you can learn from at school, so go out and meet them. Again, this is a good EC but also a good chance to grow a little in a non-academic (but still important way).

Finally, have fun. Everyone always says "have fun, these are the best years of your life." They mean it. My freshman year was unreal, and I miss it sometimes. Don't let college pass you by (IE don't spend it all in the library).

Good luck,
S

Keep an open mind, remember that you can never erase bad grades, and remember that every screw-up is an opportunity to learn.

Good luck.

-asp

I would almost suggest, if along the next few years that you have experiences that push you towards medicine or confirm your desire, then write them down.
It would be really helpful for secondaries, and I wish I had done this.

-Kick some serious ass in the classroom. A 4.0 isn't required, but it looks damn spiffy on an application, trust me.
-Get involved in a WIDE RANGE of volunteer activities. Hospitals, soup kitchens, special olympics, boys and girls clubs, etc.... they all work. Find 1 or 2 organizations you like and try to stick with it for at least a year to show you're dedicated.
-Join your pre-med club, even if it's just for the social aspect. It's nice to have someone who feels your pain.
-Do some research if you can. It's not mandatory, but you'll at least find out in undergrad if it's something you may want to continue in med school.
-Enjoy non-academic activities. Play intramurals, join the chess club, or learn karate. whatever floats your boat to keep you sane.

Best of luck!
Lex

don't date for a while... okay well just take things slow with the ladies or gents. if only your significant other could be consider an extracurricular organization or activity... cuz I sure have invested time into mine. haha.

I hate that I think of my college years in terms of what I "regret" doing or not doing, however, you will thank yourself four years from now if:

1). You kick butt in the classroom. When you go to lecture, try and absorb everything the professors say. DO NOT fall asleep in class. It really isn't worth it. The more you absorb in class, the less you will have to study later. Make the most of your lecture time and studying time. Never get behind, so that you will have time to...

2) Enjoy yourself. College is the last time that you can act like a kid and really enjoy yourself. Work hard, play hard should be your philosophy.

3) Start studying for the MCAT 6-8 months in advance. Six to eight months is not much in the scope of four (or five) years of college. Yes, you will have to sacrifice a lot of time. But if you can get a 33+ (which is VERY doable, if u work hard), your application life will be SO much easier. And you DO NOT want to have to take that darn test a second time...trust me. I know very few people who did well enough the second time to actually have warranted the effort. Just go all-out for the first one.

4) Exercise! Most people's metabolism slows down upon entering college (thus the freshman 15, which eventually becomes the senior 25). If you work-out and exercise starting your freshman year, you can avoid that post-graduation gut.

5) Cherish your time. Life will never really be the same after you graduate. it's awesome that you are getting advice at this early stage.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

:)

1) Take classes you enjoy. Avoid taking classes because they might look good on an application.

2) Major in something you like. Bonus points if you can make money with it.

3) At least once, work in something other than the medical field. It'll give you perspective on why you want to be a physician.

4) Have non-premed friends. Have premed friends too.

5) Echo that avoid SDN comment. Seriously, you'll just get depressed reading about people who complain about getting a 42 on the MCAT or only have a 3.98 GPA. Come back to SDN when you're ready to apply.

calstudent said:
Best advice you could get.
And, I'm not kidding.

I second that...I am so happy I didn't discover SDN until two months AFTER I took the MCATs. SDN has made me mentally paralyzed.

my advice is to keep your head up when it gets hard, and to keep a journal of all your undergrad experiences :luck:

Everyone pretty much summed up everythign I would say, but just to point them out again.

Work on your time management / study skills. High school was a total breeze for me, I did very little work and had close to a 4.0 and life was grand. I thought I could pull that off at college....didn't go as plan.

If you haven't had any experience in clinical setting in HS I would recommend you do something to see if you really want to a career in medicine.

Keep your door open, your first years in the dorm will be one of your most fun / memorable.

MCAT > GPA > ECs/LORs

Work hard in your basic science courses. The better you understand the material, the easier the MCAT will be for you. Physics especially. I studied for each test just to make my A but didn't really absorb the material properly. Looks like I'm going to have to relearn everything again. Don't let this happen to you!

never tell anyone you are "pre-med".