Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Advice for a non-passing transman who wants to go to medical school (for a student of mine)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Gauss44, 09.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Gauss44

Gauss44 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm tutoring a student who wanted me to post this question: Do you have any advice (of any kind) for a pre-med who is transgender and cannot yet transition?

He is a junior in college and worried about silent prejudice working it's way into letters of recommendation, about finding places to volunteer that are trans-friendly, etc.

(He already plans to contact Fenway Community Health Center and JRI in Boston, but is open to additional recommendations about this and anything else relevant to being openly transgender and "non-passing" in medicine.)

PM's are welcome.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Psyche Estrelle

Psyche Estrelle Fear and Loathing in Los Angeles 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    There was a girl in the class after me who was transgender and pre-transition. No one batted an eyelash (at least as far as she told me). I wish I had more info - I never really saw her after disappearing into rotations in 3rd year - but I hope this helps a little :)

Gauss44 likes this.

About the ads