1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Advice for a non-passing transman who wants to go to medical school (for a student of mine)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gauss44, Sep 20, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Gauss44

Gauss44 2+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2012
    I'm tutoring a student who wanted me to post this question: Do you have any advice (of any kind) for a pre-med who is transgender and cannot yet transition?

He is a junior in college and worried about silent prejudice working it's way into letters of recommendation, about finding places to volunteer that are trans-friendly, etc.

(He already plans to contact Fenway Community Health Center and JRI in Boston, but is open to additional recommendations about this and anything else relevant to being openly transgender and "non-passing" in medicine.)

PM's are welcome.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Psyche Estrelle

Psyche Estrelle Fear and Loathing in Los Angeles 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Physician
    There was a girl in the class after me who was transgender and pre-transition. No one batted an eyelash (at least as far as she told me). I wish I had more info - I never really saw her after disappearing into rotations in 3rd year - but I hope this helps a little :)

Gauss44 likes this.