Advice for a non tradition pre med student to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbxfusion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well theres no easy way to say all this so if any one with any experience or advice / insight can help me on this path, it would truly be of much appreciation. I'm finishing up a 4 year enlistment in the ARMY, going back home to NY. I'm 23 going on 24 this summer. I've been out of high school since 2002 and my final average was a 92.8 after everything so I was doing good for that time. But I havent done any academic things afterward.

I want to do medical but most of the special consolidated programs for HS seniors and stuff. So i got into a community college and they dont have a pre-med program but a pre-health advisor where you can take all the pre reqs to transfer to a med school after 4 years.

My confliction is that I feel I "wasted" (academically) 4 years in the army; I want to persue a medical career. Is it worth it or too late to do the pre reqs at the school for 4 years? I wont be getting a degree or anything, its just the courses to transfer into a med school, so thats 4 years with nothing really to show. If I do get into a med school then thats where the actually academics start, with another 4 years of intense courses. I've read all over hard hard med schools are and the drop out rates. I dont want to waste my GI bill and another 4 years working on the pre reqs for med school, just to possibly get accepted and then flunk out poorly or not get accepted in a residency or whatever other reason. I'm very nervous and its makes me think mabye I should forget my dream and go the safe path and take up an academic degree at the community college.

So any help / advice? I really want to do this but I'm not sure if I still have what it takes acadmically. I see people with 4.0 GPAs busting their @ss just to get through med school. Thank you for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

It was a tough decision for me to return to school also. I was a bit aprehensive about my ability to still do well. It is definitely not too late for you. I will start med school this fall at the age of 34 after just getting my undergraduate degree. My advice would be to get a degree while taking the required courses. You said that you were willing to go to school for 4 years prior to med school, so get that academic degree while taking the pre-med courses. The actions of follwing through with the degree and the course work will help you to determine if you have what it takes to make it in medical school. Work to keep your grades up, because that and the MCAT are the easiest ways for schools to rule you out before you get a chance. Also, from what I have heard, the schools don't like to have people flunk out and are willing to provide tutoring or other aides to help you succeed. Good luck and know that you can do it.

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are misunderstanding the process a little bit. Nearly every medical school out there requires a bachelor's for entrance. You won't be wasting anything to spend two years at a community college if you like and then transfer to finish the last two years of whatever degree you choose. Then you go to medical school if you got in while applying during this. I hope this helps. I would suggest just picking something you are interested in and finishing that bachelor's. Usually most people apply their junior year, so they don't have a gap year between finishing undergrad and med school. You apply about a year in advance (actually a little more than that).

Good luck.

I WISH I was 23. I spent 10 years in the Navy. I'll be turning 31 as I start med school this fall. You're actually in a pretty good position. Your Bachelor's degree will probably take 4 years and most schools require this. You'll find out soon enough whether or not you have the aptitude for science classes when you begin classes such as bio and then organic chem. Even if you decide that med school isn't for you, you'll still have your bachelor's degree. You don't even have to major in bio - it's just less classes total if you do.

Compare your situation with mine. I got my undergrad in chemistry and never took bio except in High School. So, when it came time to apply to med school I had to take my prerequisite bio which took a whole year. Also, I retook orgo because it had been 9 years since I took it and it was very rusty. Don't consider it a waste of time. It's not a race to see who can finish med school the youngest in their class.

Also, you'll have great life experiences to talk about with your interviewers. ALL my interviewer asked about me flying planes in the Navy.

Taking your first two years at a community college (assuming there is a program to transfer to a university if you maintain a certain GPA) is a great idea to save money. But, you'll have the GI Bill, so it shouldn't be to big of a deal.

23 is nothing. You are still a baby- barely worthy of the non-trad label.:D If this is your dream, it is worth it. Medicine is not the easiest path and if you think there is something else you would rather do, do that.

I did not start my post-bac requirements till 27 and started medical school at 29 and will graduate at 32 (going on 33). I have not been happier.