Advice for a rising first year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anencephaly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have developed an interest in radiation oncology over the past year after doing research in a field that is "unrelated," but still relevant to present oncology research. I will be starting my first year of medical school at an institution with a home program and will be conducting research starting this summer. Do you guys have any advice for an incoming MS1, such as myself, or other lurkers out there that are interested in radiation oncology? Perhaps somethings you wish you would have done differently? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys have any advice for an incoming MS1, such as myself, or other lurkers out there that are interested in radiation oncology? Perhaps somethings you wish you would have done differently? Thanks in advance!

Focus on getting as many honors as possible. Do research as close to rad onc as possible. Try to work with and get great letters from big name rad oncs. Obviously, get the highest step 1 score you can and put together an otherwise solid application.

That may be controversial advice, but I feel that would have helped me.

Last edited: