Advice for a Rising Sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DWMontana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a long term reader, however I've never needed to post until now, but I feel as if I am reaching the point in my undergraduate education where my application for an MD/PhD program should be really shaping up. I considered the "What Are My Chances?" forum, but since I'm focused on MD/PhD programs this seemed like a better place to post. If a mod feels differently, no arguments here!

To get down to the nitty gritty, I've listed my current information below. I'm primarily looking for any holes I may not have considered up to this point.

Grade Point: 3.9 (Western US State School)
Major: Biochemistry/Cell Biology Double Degree Program, Psychology Minor
MCAT: Will be taken Junior Year

Research: Currently a summer and a semester in a biochemistry lab. Will have 2.5 years and 3 summers, all in one lab. Project is primarily self-directed with input from PI and graduate students in the lab. No publications yet, but that's well within the realm of possibility, as I do 40 hrs/wk during the summer and 15 hrs/wk during the year. I received a grant this summer from my university that is funded by the NIH and expect to receive a similar one this year from the DoE, as my research has both biomedical and energy implications.

Volunteering: I work the night shift on Saturdays at the Emergency Room at the nearest hospital to my university. This volunteer work is in the process of developing into a phlebotomy or lab technician role at the hospital.

Shadowing: Not yet initiated, though I now have contacts at the hospital that I can use to get this rolling. Looking to take on hours within a semester or so.

Extra Curriculars: I teach some small science classes to elementary-school students on the side, however I am in the process of working with the chemistry department to develop a chemistry outreach program that will work with local students.

In my opinion, it seems like my clinical side is what I need to work on at the moment, with shadowing being the focus. I would ideally like to have some more interesting extra curriculars, however the state school I attend doesn't offer many interesting organizations. Is there anything else that I'm not looking closely at?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a long term reader, however I've never needed to post until now, but I feel as if I am reaching the point in my undergraduate education where my application for an MD/PhD program should be really shaping up. I considered the "What Are My Chances?" forum, but since I'm focused on MD/PhD programs this seemed like a better place to post. If a mod feels differently, no arguments here!

To get down to the nitty gritty, I've listed my current information below. I'm primarily looking for any holes I may not have considered up to this point.

Major: Biochemistry/Cell Biology Double Degree Program, Pyschology Minor

Research: Currently a summer and a semester in a biochemistry lab. Will have 3.5 years and 3 summers, all in one lab. Project is primarily self-directed with input from PI and graduate students in the lab. No publications yet, but that's well within the realm of possibility, as I do 40 hrs/wk during the summer and 15 hrs/wk during the year. I received a grant this summer from my university that is funded by the NIH and expect to receive a similar one this year from the DoE, as my research has both biomedical and energy implications.

Volunteering: I work the night shift on Saturdays at the Emergency Room at the nearest hospital to my university. This volunteer work is in the process of developing into a phlebotomy or lab technician role at the hospital.

Shadowing: Not yet initiated, though I now have contacts at the hospital that I can use to get this rolling. Looking to take in hours within a semester or so.

Extra Curriculars: I teach some small science classes to elementary-school students on the side, however I am in the process of working with the chemistry department to develop a chemistry outreach program that will work with local students.

In my opinion, it seems like my clinical side is what I need to work on at the moment, with shadowing being the focus. I would ideally like to have some more interesting extra curriculars, however the state school I attend doesn't offer many interesting organizations. Is there anything else that I'm not looking closely at?

Minor spelling mistake (pun intended).

Members don't see this ad :)
Research: Currently a summer and a semester in a biochemistry lab. Will have 3.5 years and 3 summers, all in one lab. Project is primarily self-directed with input from PI and graduate students in the lab. No publications yet, but that's well within the realm of possibility, as I do 40 hrs/wk during the summer and 15 hrs/wk during the year. I received a grant this summer from my university that is funded by the NIH and expect to receive a similar one this year from the DoE, as my research has both biomedical and energy implications.

From what I've seen here, working in at least two labs is a good idea. I would suggest that you at least one summer with another lab, preferably one at another institution. Other than that, you look great to me.

Btw, wouldn't you have 2.5 years+3 summers at the end of Junior year, or do you intend to apply at the end of Senior year?

From what I've seen here, working in at least two labs is a good idea. I would suggest that you at least one summer with another lab, preferably one at another institution. Other than that, you look great to me.

Concur in full. You appear to be in good shape.

It's not that working in only one lab is bad per se, but working somewhere else gives you a chance to get another PI letter and see how different institutions operate. It would be perfect if you could do a summer project somewhere you'd like to end up for school so you could get a feel for the school and meet some people who could potentially help you end up where you want to be.

Concur in full. You appear to be in good shape.

It's not that working in only one lab is bad per se, but working somewhere else gives you a chance to get another PI letter and see how different institutions operate. It would be perfect if you could do a summer project somewhere you'd like to end up for school so you could get a feel for the school and meet some people who could potentially help you end up where you want to be.

I could see the value of that, certainly. I might inquire with my PI later this year to see if there's anything she wants done with one of our collaborators at a larger university. Having a second letter seems like a huge plus, and it would be a good experience to see another major city somewhere.

Regarding the research time element, I amended that just now. I'll be going with the standard cycle and applying at the end of my Junior year.

Major: Biochemistry/Cell Biology Double Degree Program, Psychology Minor

Research: Currently a summer and a semester in a biochemistry lab. Will have 2.5 years and 3 summers, all in one lab. Project is primarily self-directed with input from PI and graduate students in the lab. No publications yet, but that's well within the realm of possibility, as I do 40 hrs/wk during the summer and 15 hrs/wk during the year. I received a grant this summer from my university that is funded by the NIH and expect to receive a similar one this year from the DoE, as my research has both biomedical and energy implications.

Shadowing: Not yet initiated, though I now have contacts at the hospital that I can use to get this rolling. Looking to take on hours within a semester or so.

You're my hero!!!
I guess I'm in no position to give advice, but if it ever comes down to a choice between your extra curriculars (outreach, or even hospital shifts) and your research, I'm thinking research should definitely take top priority.

The research is definitely something I am prioritizing at this stage. I've moved onto the new research project funded by the DoE and so far things are looking up regarding the potential for usable results. Additionally, I've moved significantly closer to getting a technical role at the hospital and should be able to apply within a few weeks once I finish my certification.