Advice for a soon-to-be reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowerButton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I think I am pretty much going to have to reapply this year, and would like some advice regarding EC's. I apologize for the long post.

A customary rundown of what I applied with this year: 3.74 sci and overall GPA, 34R (PS11, VR11, BS12) MCAT. 2000+ hours working as an ER scribe (I essentially worked all through college as well, attaining supervisor positions at 2 jobs), 1 year as a molecular lab volunteer, and a few other insignificant EC's. Oh, and I graduated in 2008, so I've already had a "year off".

In this past year (while applying), I did do some stuff - traveling to Tijuana a couple of times with a group that runs a free clinic/dentist/donation area for some of the poorest folks down there, as well as 3 months' research work involving vascular disease.

I received 3 interviews and 2 waitlist spots over this past app cycle. While I'm still on these 2 waitlists, chances are looking pretty grim at this point. I applied to 25 total schools this past cycle, all allopathic.

So - obviously there's a glaring hole in my application where some "significant research experience" should be. I did do a bit of stuff this year, but that experience was very informal, and I'm not sure if the adcoms will even look at it as a significant improvement.

However, at this point it's already too late to actually do some research and be able to put it on my AMCAS app in time. If I pursued some research opportunities during this coming year, and send this to the schools via update letters, would this even be considered seriously? Or should I, as some have advised, use this year to beef up that part of my app and THEN reapply the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to SLU? Or MCW early? Those are pretty easy to get into and with your stats you should get interviews there.

Did you apply to SLU? Or MCW early? Those are pretty easy to get into and with your stats you should get interviews there.

No, I did not. I may have tried to reach a little too high with my school list in this past cycle, but I've lived, learned, and made changes to this.

My main questions still center around:

1) The worth of research done in the coming months, or how much an adcom would value this because it would not be on my original AMCAS app (only through update letters)
2) Whether I should even be reapplying this coming year, or if I should use this year to do stuff that I can actually put on my AMCAS app for the NEXT year.