Advice for an aspiring clinical geneticist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memono

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-medical student applying to several osteopathic schools. I am considering taking a rather abnormal route. I am desperate for information on osteopathy and clinical genetics. Does anyone know how the fellowships view osteopathic medicine and is there an osteopathic school in which would be a superior choice for this career path? Thanks to all who can offer any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pre-medical student applying to several osteopathic schools. I am considering taking a rather abnormal route. I am desperate for information on osteopathy and clinical genetics. Does anyone know how the fellowships view osteopathic medicine and is there an osteopathic school in which would be a superior choice for this career path? Thanks to all who can offer any advice.

Perhaps you already have this info, but I was recently looking at some websites myself that you might find interesting:
http://www.ashg.org/genetics/ashg/pubs/tpguide/tpgg000.shtml

http://www.acmg.net/AM/Template.cfm...emplate=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=2026

I defer to those who have more substantial experience in this area, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of DOs with this type of training--but this doesn't surprise me since most DOs historically aren't pursuing research tracks. There was a DO who went through the Wayne State program a few years back, so it can be done.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. According to Iserson's Guide to Getting a Residency, Medical Genetics is very easy to get into. In other words, it doesn't matter if you're MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad :)

Welcome to SDN.

The quick answer is that any DO school will allow you to pursue a genetics residency program.

Medical genetics really isn't a competitive program per se, but the applicants who pursue medical genetics usually have a strong background in the field or have demonstrated interest in the field. There are several options you can pursue (and some programs may be more competitive than others)

You can do a combined Internal Medicine-Medical Genetics residency
University of Alabama
Johns Hopkins
Brigham & Women's
Mount Sinai NYC
Case Western Reserve
University of Pennsylvania

You can also do a combined pediatrics-medical genetics residency
University of Alabama
Cedar-Sinai/Harbor/UCLA Program
UC-Irvine
LAC/Harbor/UCLA Program
University of Connecticut
Johns Hopkins
Children's National Medical Center/National Human Genome Research Institute
Wayne State/Detroit Medical
Mount Sinai NYC
Cincinnati Children's/University of Cincinnati
Case Western Reserve
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

OR you can do a stand alone medical genetics residency (check out AMA Freida for a list of programs)

I imagine this field will likely become more popular in the future. After all, genetics in the new penicillin.

Thank you for your help!